Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

One Day

i used the same ones i think, winto they were called, around 600 by 400. nice tiles to cut and fit.

It's really bugging me I can't remember the name! Deffo had "winter" in there somewhere though!

C

charlie1

There no such thing as perfection! Thats why we all try to get better at this i think. Always check your tiles prior to fixing and explain to limitations to customer before you start would be my advice.

U

Unregistered

Could anyone tell me if there is such a thing as a British Standard for grout width? I have a big problem with 600 x 600 rectified tiles that have been put down. The grout line is about 7mm, up to 10mm in places, and it is also extremely low so that when you wash the floor the water sits in the grout lines. The tiler is saying that they have been fitted within British Standard. They look dreadful, especially when compared to the same sort of tile we have elsewhere where the grout line is more like 3mm and the grout is level with the surface. I appreciate your help.

I

Ian

There is a BS minimum recommended width, 2mm for walls and 3mm for floors but, no maximum.

G

Gazzer

There is no limit to the width. As above is the minimum size.

Any pictures ? a grout joint varying 3mm is my main worry apart from the fact I personally wouldn't go bigger than 4 mm unless it was needed.

Sounds like too much grout and washed most out the joints when cleaning off.

T

The D

I had the same thing on a job I did last year I fitted a 5mm joint as the type of tile I was using I had always used that size joint. The floor took me two days to do a day and a half tiling and half a day grouting in all that time they had seen what I was doing and said nothing but as soon as the job was finished they Said they did not like the size grout joint I had used and could I change it. To be honest I was absolutely fuming but as I had not discussed the joint size with them befor I started tiling I had no option but to lift the floor and retile it using a 3 mm joint. I always ask what size joint people want now.

G

Gazzer

You may need to register first.
usually above where you type a rely there will be a series of icons, one looks like picture frame with a picture of a tree. click that and upload from your PC

Reply to Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen