Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

One Day

i used the same ones i think, winto they were called, around 600 by 400. nice tiles to cut and fit.

It's really bugging me I can't remember the name! Deffo had "winter" in there somewhere though!

C

charlie1

There no such thing as perfection! Thats why we all try to get better at this i think. Always check your tiles prior to fixing and explain to limitations to customer before you start would be my advice.

U

Unregistered

Could anyone tell me if there is such a thing as a British Standard for grout width? I have a big problem with 600 x 600 rectified tiles that have been put down. The grout line is about 7mm, up to 10mm in places, and it is also extremely low so that when you wash the floor the water sits in the grout lines. The tiler is saying that they have been fitted within British Standard. They look dreadful, especially when compared to the same sort of tile we have elsewhere where the grout line is more like 3mm and the grout is level with the surface. I appreciate your help.

I

Ian

There is a BS minimum recommended width, 2mm for walls and 3mm for floors but, no maximum.

G

Gazzer

There is no limit to the width. As above is the minimum size.

Any pictures ? a grout joint varying 3mm is my main worry apart from the fact I personally wouldn't go bigger than 4 mm unless it was needed.

Sounds like too much grout and washed most out the joints when cleaning off.

T

The D

I had the same thing on a job I did last year I fitted a 5mm joint as the type of tile I was using I had always used that size joint. The floor took me two days to do a day and a half tiling and half a day grouting in all that time they had seen what I was doing and said nothing but as soon as the job was finished they Said they did not like the size grout joint I had used and could I change it. To be honest I was absolutely fuming but as I had not discussed the joint size with them befor I started tiling I had no option but to lift the floor and retile it using a 3 mm joint. I always ask what size joint people want now.

G

Gazzer

You may need to register first.
usually above where you type a rely there will be a series of icons, one looks like picture frame with a picture of a tree. click that and upload from your PC

J

Jackie0802

Tile.jpg Tile.jpg

Attachments

• Tile small.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 181
I

Ian

Not looking very good at all, sorry to be a pain, but can you put a couple more pictures on with the whole floor in it, so we can get the bigger picture.

Sent via tapatalk for iPhone 5

J

Jackie0802

Sir Ramic that is just one randomly selected of lots of pictures, others are much worse. Afew weeks ago I posted on here about the sunken grout lines in this kitchen and some of you made some good suggestions. I only told you half the story, but basically we have almost 70m2 like this, and some of the tiles are so uneven that you have to lift the chair over them rather than pulling out from the table. When the floor is washed water sits in the grout line because the grout is so low. The tiler said the problem could be rectified by replacing some tiles and re-doing the grout. We bought an Exact tool following advise from some of you guys and 30 new tiles (all at our expense). The result of the 'remedial' is truely horrific, basically the replaced tiles are even higher than the originals, the grout line was far to wide for the tool to have any effect and 18 good tiles have been horribly chipped by the 'remedial' process. We are now being quoted this BS standard of a grout line of 6mm - 10mm whereas everyone else seems to say that a 3mm line is more in keeping with this type of tile. I should add that this tiler has done several jobs for us before without a problem, so we just didn't see this coming. So far the cost of the 'remedial' has cost us about £500 and we are worse off. The tiles now have to come up and it is going to cost about £5000 to put it all right and all the tiler wants to do is quote British Standard!

I

Ian

That picture does not look good but, some more capturing the whole room will help us help you, if the whole floor is of that standard, the only option would be to remove and start again, so I won't hang the tiler out to dry just yet until I've seen a bit more.

Reply to Tiling Standards (BS 5385) | British Wall and Floor Tiling Standards - IN FULL in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks