Currently reading:
tiling over floor grade chipboard

Discuss tiling over floor grade chipboard in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

For others reading this thread... Just because this job has held for 3 years does not mean that it is correct to tile direct to chipboard.. YES! adhesives will stick to it and have done for years, the concern is that as a particle board it is not dimensionally stable enough to hold the tiles in the long term, 3 years might sound long enough to test it, but as tilers we have to guarantee a tiled installation and to say that it is ok to tile to a substrate when really it should not be ,is incorrect for someone to say it is so..

So please do listen to those who do this day in day out and not a DIY'r who has been lucky..

S

sharpfamily

OK. For clarity & readers benefit, opportunity surely for you to give the bullet point summary of what the best professional tiling practice is for existing chipboard floors.

I'd like to make some context comment regarding the value of the 3 yrs test period. In the schluter-ditra handbook they give a warranty of.......... just 5 yrs! Hardiebacker give a longer 10 yrs warranty. BAL a massive 25 yrs (but not over chipboard). Meanwhile, of course as time passes, there are changes in interior style/design - eg how long is it before a sound tile floor is simply the wrong colour for the new decor!!? 3yrs is pretty long.....especially for any gross errors to have shown....meanwhile the test goes on.

P

Perry

Arrogant!?- that's very unfair.

But here's an idea regarding your concerns: You can now simply provide readers with a bullet point summary of what you believe to be best tiling practice when faced with an existing chipboard floor.
sorry it was the wrong word to use not what i was looking for good with my hands not with words perhaps the opposite to yourself cant think of a word to describe it sort of **** sure but against fact sorry but i had a poor education i didn't meen to sound rude

S

sharpfamily

sorry it was the wrong word to use not what i was looking for good with my hands not with words perhaps the opposite to yourself cant think of a word to describe it sort of **** sure but against fact sorry but i had a poor education i didn't meen to sound rude

pjc, thanks for that explanation - i was hurt by the word arrogant, as it's a word i associate with the likes of david cameron, george osbourne...& tony blair.

i'm sorry also, though, if i've come across as a bit **** sure - don't mean to. The big downside of taking a risk is worry - certainly during the first 3 months after finishing the job i was uncertain that it wouldn't work. At 3 months less worried, and now after 3 yrs.....i'm pretty confident, but still don't know for sure if it will show distress in the future.

my advice to any diy'ers is to seek advice, do a risk assessment and be prepared to take responsibility for their decisions. if they can't do this, then get in a professional tiler. Anyway, i've really enjoyed doing my 3 diy tiling projects...

best,
graham

S

sharpfamily

3 yrs ago single part fastflex wasn't available only the messy and espensive 2 part fastflex....that's why i took a risk with single part flexible.
this newer BAL product sounds to have less risk than spf and the leaflet below suggests it may be used on single layer of sound chipboard.....big advantage there not to have to do over boarding or using decoupler membranes etc.
here's the product link:

http://194.223.92.131/pdf/Technical...ical Data Sheets/BAL_Single_Part_Fastflex.pdf

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Don't mind me while I bump some old but popular threads to see if the topic is still active in some way. Wondering if either the original idea or original issue still exists. I've done this with quite a few threads, so don't be offended if this is just jargon these days and not applicable. But I thought there might be a small chance a small percentage of the small number of threads might just be slightly applicable and the thread could get a new lease of life.

Reply to this if you've read a bit and have something to say. :)
There IS going to be a bigger chance when i do this, that the thread is dead. So don't worry if that's the case, just don't reply to it, and we'll all move on and let the thread drop out of view again.

Bump

M

m3fitter

Hilarious thread... Unibond do a ready mixed bucket adhesive that states you may stick straight onto floorboards !.. hahha unfortunately there isn't a grout that can flex as much... ! If you professionally fix tiles for a living, you must adhere ( sorry for the pun ) to the upto date advice, recommendations of adhesive, TTa, grout, tile manufacturers, if you don't and it fails, you are at fault..

M

Mr Tiler

in my honest opinion I don't believe this chap should of done what he done because chipboard is not a tough material it doesn't take much for it to crumble so the Idea of water from adhesive soaking down into it is not a good idea to me at all. but I also believe that the b.s is basically a play it safe rule book because if you stick to it... you will never or very very rarely get failures... but you can also push past there guidelines as there far short of the risk boundary as everything else in this country... I don't know the b.s on most things just bits ive seen on this site. but I know that is how it will be. thank you and goodnight! lol

beanz

TF
Berkshire
in my honest opinion I don't believe this chap should of done what he done because chipboard is not a tough material it doesn't take much for it to crumble so the Idea of water from adhesive soaking down into it is not a good idea to me at all. but I also believe that the b.s is basically a play it safe rule book because if you stick to it... you will never or very very rarely get failures... but you can also push past there guidelines as there far short of the risk boundary as everything else in this country... I don't know the b.s on most things just bits ive seen on this site. but I know that is how it will be. thank you and goodnight! lol

Very true. You'll also either, never land a job because you're too expensive, or never make a profit. That's why it's a good idea to work for someone at first, so you can see what works and what doesn't.

B

Bradma9

I Don't understand why you would ask for advice and not take it? There will be someone out there ie eBay or a tile shop that would happily take the SPF back if you swapped it with them for what is a more expensive product! Like he said the difference in price of addy now compared with the price of new; tiles,addy,gout and time to do it all again when they crack? I know what one I would do!

For every 10 failures there's bound to be 1 or 2 lucky ones. In this case I would say yours was lucky. Fantastic, great. But that wouldn't convince any full-time tiler to alter the way they work. They would be a fool to cut corners and ignore all the advice and recommendations that are out there. We've all come across failed jobs, and don't want it to happen on any of our own jobs in the future. A DIY job, then anyone can do what they like I suppose.

But there's plenty of folk that have put trust in paying someone to do the job, and if a tradesperson was to have done your job, in the way it was done, and it did fail - I'm sure you would have been very happy to hear him say, "yeah I ignored all the BS recommendations and did what I like, thought we'd have some luck"

D

Dougs Third Go

For every 10 failures there's bound to be 1 or 2 lucky ones. In this case I would say yours was lucky. Fantastic, great. But that wouldn't convince any full-time tiler to alter the way they work. They would be a fool to cut corners and ignore all the advice and recommendations that are out there. We've all come across failed jobs, and don't want it to happen on any of our own jobs in the future. A DIY job, then anyone can do what they like I suppose.

But there's plenty of folk that have put trust in paying someone to do the job, and if a tradesperson was to have done your job, in the way it was done, and it did fail - I'm sure you would have been very happy to hear him say, "yeah I ignored all the BS recommendations and did what I like, thought we'd have some luck"
and that Martyn, is hitting the nail right on the head.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

British Standards - I think it would be very useful to readers of this thread, if someone would quote the actual clauses from the BS, which give guidance on tiling over chipboard. I don't have copy of the BS to hand.

I think this thread is BS, some complete novice giving bad advice on what should be a tilers forum. Ythan you are so wrong in every way,
you are condoning tiling onto chipboard, you are sending all the wrong signals to anyone reading this forum thread. Your method is BS, and I would ask you not to post anymore bad advice.

I would like this thread to be closed, as we don't need your uniformed and arrogant imput. Can I ask you were you draw your expertise from, strike that I'm not interested. I am out.

D

Dougs Third Go

I think this thread is BS, some complete novice giving bad advice on what should be a tilers forum. Ythan you are so wrong in every way,
you are condoning tiling onto chipboard, you are sending all the wrong signals to anyone reading this forum thread. Your method is BS, and I would ask you not to post anymore bad advice.

I would like this thread to be closed, as we don't need your uniformed and arrogant imput. Can I ask you were you draw your expertize from, strike that I'm not interested. I am out.
I think ythan is original poster Phil,

Reply to tiling over floor grade chipboard in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber floor in our barn conversion. The area is large, 21m x 8m. Having spoken to various UFH suppliers I...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.