Search the forum,

Discuss tiling over cracked concrete/screed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

miksto

I'm planning to tile an old concrete/screed floor in a downstairs bathroom. It's cracked in places and even makes a slight creaking noise in places when you walk on it although there isn't any noticable movement. I was planning to cover it in self-levelling compound before tiling. Would that be enough or should I consider something more substantial in the way of repairs?

I also read that one should not tile onto concrete that doesn't have some sort of DPC treatment. I doubt it has any, although can't be sure without digging up the floor. The concrete has been exposed for a couple of years now (project delays!!) and there is no visible sign of damp. However, should I also consider some sort of damp treatement before tiling?

I'd be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks!

Mike

D

DHTiling

Hi Mike, i would be more worried about this creaking noise..

It needs investigating before any tiling can be done...IMO..

T

The D

as above. a crack in a floor is not to hard to deal with but if it is making a noise when you walk over it then it is defo not good enough to tile and needs investigating.

M

miksto

Thanks for the replies everyone,

Actually, following further inpsection I don't think it's a crack in the main concrete slab, but a red coloured screed that was laid on top of this. I chiselled a 5cm diameter loose piece out of it that was about 1cm thick and found that is was lying on top of a smooth solid surface below that. The creaking sound is I think at the interface between the screed and the concrete below on either side of the cracks. Apart from that the floor feels reasonably solid, althought the building is pretty old (early 19th century or older) and I don't think there is much in it, including this concrete floor, that conforms to modern standards, and there has been significant movement in the building over the decades (as evidenced in the bowed walls, sloping flloors etc.

Does any of that change your analysis? What about these decoupling matts?

Thanks again,
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

Any chance of any pics of the red floor, it could be a composite floor, and if so it would have to be removed, as nothing would bond to it properly. To see if it is or not, get a piece of the red stuff and hold a naked flame to it, if it just chars, then it's very likely to be that. How thick is the screed on top?, it sounds as if it's floating on top to me, but pics would help to establish this. As the guys have said above, it certainly doesn't sound tileable.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't self-level the screed then. I'd chisel it all up and take a good look at what you're really tiling onto. If it's a solid floor under it then you're laughing. But if you tiled the screed and it's come to the end of its life then your tiles are clearly only going to be fixed as solid as the screed is. I'd get it all up and then take a good look at the condition of the slab.

M

miksto

Hi Ken,

I'm attaching a photo. I wetted the area to make it a bit clearer, although it's still not very clear I'm afraid. The whiter patch in the middle is where a piece of the screed came out and which has now been filled with cement, although from what some of you are saying I might have to remove that and start again. The piece that I removed did not char under a nake flame, so I guess that's good news? When you say floating, do you mean that the screed is not bonded with what's below?

Cheers,

Mike

Attachments

• wet floor.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 80
J

jay

Hi Ken,

I'm attaching a photo. I wetted the area to make it a bit clearer, although it's still not very clear I'm afraid. The whiter patch in the middle is where a piece of the screed came out and which has now been filled with cement, although from what some of you are saying I might have to remove that and start again. The piece that I removed did not char under a nake flame, so I guess that's good news? When you say floating, do you mean that the screed is not bonded with what's below?

Cheers,

Mike

yes render is more than likley gone drummy tap around it should sound solid if not remove and re do

M

miksto

OK, thanks everyone, I'm reluctant to dig up the screed for fear damaging what's underneath it, as well as the clay soil pipe that's embedded in it, and indeed the brickwork at the base of the walls that consist of old and in some cases rather crumbly red imperials, but I'll bear in mind what you've said. Maybe I should forget tiles and cover with something more flexible, although that would rather scupper my plans for a modern looking bathroom!

Reply to tiling over cracked concrete/screed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen