Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling onto painted Drywall in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

New to tiling so probably the easiest questions you’ll be asked but…

I have a downstairs toilet and kitchen splash back I need to tile. The toilet has not tiling in place already whereas the kitchen I will need to remove pre-existing tiles. All walls are drywall that have been painted with emulsion by previous owners.

1) will removing the tiles from the kitchen drywall likely cause damage? If it does how would I go about fixing this before i re-tile?

2) I’ve read in numerous places that tiling over paint is a huge no-no but then I’ve also seen some people say that it can be done, how should I go about tiling the toilet? Only want to go halfway up the wall. Could I lightly sand back the drywall, then prime it or will it damage it? Or can I just put primer over the paint and then tile onto it?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to Tiling onto painted Drywall in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen