Discuss Tiling On Ufh? in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Old Mod

water ufh in screed not electric

bit slow there @3_fall :) I thought a shocking low price considering the risk involved:(
Haha I don't read everything as soon as its posted Julian, even I'm allowed time to sleep and rest haha
I don't disagree with u tho!
Not far from me either haha
But price is even further away! :D

J

J Sid

Haha I don't read everything as soon as its posted Julian, even I'm allowed time to sleep and rest haha
I don't disagree with u tho!
Not far from me either haha
But price is even further away! :D
must have been having a #AndysMorning ;)

U

Uheat - Neil

Hi All,

I'm new on here, just started advertising to do Tiling and quickly found myself in deep water. I'm a Carpenter/Joiner by trade, so over the years iv done tones of Kitchens and Bathrooms and quite a few big floor areas too, but the first few jobs Iv been to see are pretty big, ones a Collage Kitchen and Dining hall, 420sq meters of flooring and 185sq meters of walls..

The second job is the one I need help with, some tiler has already been in and laid about 40sq meters, there's another 100 meters to do. 600mm sq porcelain tiles.
The tiles have been laid directly on top of the underfloor heating pipes and polystyrene base, there's no screed and no membrane. Guessing this will not be ok?

Iv never tiled on to this type of UFH without a screed, and Iv never used Ditra, I'm guessing it's a good idea to use Ditra, but should it be fixed down at all? Glued perhaps?
Also some advise on expansion joints/strips would be good too, never used them before

Any help and advise will be greatly appreciated. :)

Kind regards
Dale
Hi Dale
Going forward , if you would like any help with underfloor heating we have a dedicated website www.uheat.co.uk and can offer great discounts to forum members..regards Neil

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

Hi Dale
Going forward , if you would like any help with underfloor heating we have a dedicated website www.uheat.co.uk and can offer great discounts to forum members..regards Neil
hi what are your basic specs for fixing direct on to wufh pipes porcelain tiles .what is your recommended
build up ?

Uheat - Jake

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
hi what are your basic specs for fixing direct on to wufh pipes porcelain tiles .what is your recommended
build up ?
Hiya Ray,

We have a 18mm Retrofix Heavy Panel which are made from recycled gypsum, paper and water, mixed in an 80%- 20% ratio to produce homogeneous, dense sheet material that is cured, they are pre grooved for 12mm pipe which will be spaced at 150mm.

This allows tiles and engineered wood to be installed directly on top of the panels, a carpet or vinyl would require a 6-9mm ply overboard.

It's a very quick installation method, boards can be fixed by low expansion fixing foam (which we also supply) which dries in 1hour.

If you would require some more details or would like me to do a quote for you please feel free to contact me and I'll be happy to help.

R

Hiya Ray,

We have a 18mm Retrofix Heavy Panel which are made from recycled gypsum, paper and water, mixed in an 80%- 20% ratio to produce homogeneous, dense sheet material that is cured, they are pre grooved for 12mm pipe which will be spaced at 150mm.

This allows tiles and engineered wood to be installed directly on top of the panels, a carpet or vinyl would require a 6-9mm ply overboard.

It's a very quick installation method, boards can be fixed by low expansion fixing foam (which we also supply) which dries in 1hour.

If you would require some more details or would like me to do a quote for you please feel free to contact me and I'll be happy to help.
so no decouple rs then ? no pressuring the floor while adhesive sets ? any flexible adhesives ? S1 OR S2 adhesive ? no fibra reinforced floor leveler.how much do the pipes expand hot under 2 to 3 bar pressure .
thanks for your answers on all these

Uheat - Jake

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
so no decouple rs then ? no pressuring the floor while adhesive sets ? any flexible adhesives ? S1 OR S2 adhesive ? no fibra reinforced floor leveler.how much do the pipes expand hot under 2 to 3 bar pressure .
thanks for your answers on all these

A decoupling membrane can be used and stuck down with a Flexible tile adhesive, All adhesives we recommend to be used should be Flexible. Panels need to be sprayed with the glue, left for a few minutes before being laid and then stood on for a moment, this is the only pressure they need. The pipe doesn't expand with pressure, it can expand with heat at 0,16 mm/mK.

R

A decoupling membrane can be used and stuck down with a Flexible tile adhesive, All adhesives we recommend to be used should be Flexible. Panels need to be sprayed with the glue, left for a few minutes before being laid and then stood on for a moment, this is the only pressure they need. The pipe doesn't expand with pressure, it can expand with heat at 0,16 mm/mK.
would you recommend priming these boards with an sbr primer as they are gypsum and should be treated the same way as a gypsum screed .to clarify your equation on expansion does this mean the pipes will exspand over a 20 m2 floor circa 100 lm of pipe 16 mm over the whole floor ? thank you for your answers

Uheat - Jake

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
would you recommend priming these boards with an sbr primer as they are gypsum and should be treated the same way as a gypsum screed .to clarify your equation on expansion does this mean the pipes will exspand over a 20 m2 floor circa 100 lm of pipe 16 mm over the whole floor ? thank you for your answers

Priming can be done on the bottom side of the panel.

The expansion would be tiny if anything, that information come straight from our Manufactures mouths.

R

i do understand priming the bottom of the panel as you want it to stick to the floor but
you dont tile the bottom .you tile the top so i would have thought you should prime the
gypsum board so the tiles stick to the board .with the tiny expansion if any how do you recommend
defusing this across a floor or taking it out from the start .
how much tile fixing have the manufactures done ? .
thanks again for the answers

Uheat - Jake

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
i do understand priming the bottom of the panel as you want it to stick to the floor but
you dont tile the bottom .you tile the top so i would have thought you should prime the
gypsum board so the tiles stick to the board .with the tiny expansion if any how do you recommend
defusing this across a floor or taking it out from the start .
how much tile fixing have the manufactures done ? .
thanks again for the answers
The reason we can't say prime the top is we don't know how that will react with the pipe over the years of it being laid, it just hasn't been tested with the pipe.

The expansion would be so tiny you wouldn't need to factor anything in.

Uheat - Jake

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
So how can you give any advice then?
Advice can only be given on the facts we know, we know that hasn't been tested therefore we wouldn't advise to primer on top of our retrofix boards.

Reply to Tiling On Ufh? in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks