Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling on painted plasterboard in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi. Guessing it's a common question but I'm trying to confirm whether it's possible to tile onto painted plasterboard? My kitchen walls are plasterboard with the original trade paint that was used when the house was built 4 years ago.

Thanks for any advice.

Reaction score
Hi. Guessing it's a common question but I'm trying to confirm whether it's possible to tile onto painted plasterboard? My kitchen walls are plasterboard with the original trade paint that was used when the house was built 4 years ago.

Thanks for any advice.
Hi,

The first thing to do is check that the paint is fully bonded to the plasterboard. Do this by applying a strip of gaffer tape overnight and then rip it off. If the paint comes off, then it means that there is weak bond between the board and paint, and the background is generally unsuitable to receive tiles. That would mean taking a chance, but lets say, that the paint is bonded well:

Weight and movement issues with tiles on paint are a big factor, so I'd personally take a chance tiling onto paint with tiles up to 200 x 200 mm, providing the walls are rigid and primed correctly.
The other thing to consider is what type of paint it is. If it's a moisture-resistant paint, then this would have to be primed using a primer that gives a key, such as Mapei EcoPrim Grip. If it's standard paint that absorbs moisture, then a normal SBR primer could be used instead.

In summary, the things to consider, are:

Is the wall stable and flat?
Is the paint bonded to the plasterboard?
Are the tiles quite small (not large format)?

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Scratch the paint up, fairly abrasive paper will do, prime with sbr, then tile, use a slowset flexible adhesive to 100%be sure and stick whatever you like to the walls, anything from a small mosaic to a small car! This job does not require any over thinking! 👍🏻

Reply to Tiling on painted plasterboard in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen