Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss tiling on a wooden floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

H

hairymary

hi fellas im about to tile my kitchen floor which i have prepared with 12mm wbp ply screwed at 300mm centres. I intend to use BAL SPF Adhesive but i have read on another forum that i should have primed the underside of the ply? Is this correct?

H

hillhead

thats correct,and the edges too for extra peace of mind.whats your subfloor? under your ply?12mm could be too light depending on sub again.

D

diamondtiling

I agree with Joe regarding the 12mm ply, any deflection on that floor will result in the tiles lifting. I would insert extra noggins for strength and use 18mm ply over the existing joists.

:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hairymary

my sub-floor is t&g. I have a problem with regards to priming the underside of the board in that the board is already down and the new kitchen units already installed over it!:oops:

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
What's the t & g sitting on, I'm assuming wooden floor if you've fixed at 300mm centre's, on that note, how do you know you've screwed into joists ? You've more than likely gone into the boards. It does sound like you may well have problems in the future if you don't get the preparation right now, and to be blunt, it sounds like it's not right :oops: sorry.

T

Time's Ran Out

Replied to your other post!
For the answer on this post - I would recommend that you overboard the 12mm plywood with 6mm Hardi Backer Board or similar.
By cross jointing the boards you will not only provide a waterproof surface, you will stop the direct transfer of movement through to the tile.

M

muffinman

hi fellas im about to tile my kitchen floor which i have prepared with 12mm wbp ply screwed at 300mm centres. I intend to use BAL SPF Adhesive but i have read on another forum that i should have primed the underside of the ply? Is this correct?

prime the surface and edges of the borad use 18 mm ply ,why prime the under side of the board tip wen srewinf down dont use long screws ,they need to be shorter then lenth of the ply and the floor board take my advice you may hit a pips ahesive needs to be flexible I uesd a webber product with AD250 and primer T

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
prime the surface and edges of the borad use 18 mm ply ,why prime the under side of the board tip wen srewinf down dont use long screws ,they need to be shorter then lenth of the ply and the floor board take my advice you may hit a pips ahesive needs to be flexible I uesd a webber product with AD250 and primer T

The underside and sides of the boards are primed to stop any ingress of water into the boards that could cause warping of the boards witch will pop the tiles.

H

hillhead

Ditra matting might do the trick,i used it this week over 22mm shuttering grade ply just to protect my tiling !!!!

B

bluebob

i would put a few more screws in.150 centres and change to a 2 part flex.unless there is obvious movement you should not have any problems.:thumbsup:

M

muffinman

sorry guys why should you primme the undersurface joke there is no damp there if you guys are looking for advice then look ere

D

diamondtiling

I suspect muffinman had a few beers when he posted that Joe. When he reads it later it will be, "Doohhhhhhhh!!!!! did I really say that"

:lol:

Reply to tiling on a wooden floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks