Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling Garage Floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Raja

Hello all I am going to be tiling my garage floor which i have measure to be 15sq metres but am a little uncertain of a few points.

The garage is a new brick built one and the floor is concrete. All walls are boarded out with dot and dab method, plastered with white paint the floor has skirting boards all the way round painted in gloss.

The floor has had 3 coats of The B & Q heavy duty floor paint to prevent chips etc etc. With the house being new i have found alot of movement in the tiles i have layed in the bathrooms and kitchen ie. cracks.

I did not want to take any risk with the garage. When tiling i am a little stuck as i have never tiled on heavy duty paint like this before.

This was the plan i was going to lay ditra first then tile onto that with trims all the way round. The garage is mainly used to store my tools and my bike along with my brothers so need a type of tile that is hard wearing and can not b scratched or crack easily when the stands go down.

Would b grateful for any response on this subject on what would b the best adhesvie and grout to use and Most importantly which type of tile to use. Many thanks in advance Raja

Last edited by a moderator:
P

protilers

i would do this:
1.rough up the paint surface with a sander and really coarse sandpaper to create a key

2.wash the floor and remove any dust etc.

3.stick down dierta with a good quality flexi rapid.

4.screed floor with a fibrous flexi leveling compound.

5. tile floor with keraquick and latex plus (s2).

6.grout in a dark grey flexi grout.

on a personal choice note i would get large format tiles (600x600) glazed porcelain in darkish grey,
less chance of oil on a grout join etc.

hey don have you considered underfloor heating....saves ya warming yr tyres!!!!!

J

JOHNNYCLARKE

Don

if its concrete and you dont use ditra make sure it has 6 weeks min to shrink properly.
shame the concrete got painted otherwise just latex when dry /ditra if you want to be sure and tile with a good porcelain but make sure solid bed underneath.
Quarries will stain easier but are hardy.

this paint problem you probably ok with flexi adhesive /ditra on top but as always
adhesive people wont guarantee.
I use weber adhesives and they had a product called iboprim which i think was ok as a primer over certain paints. call their tech line 08703 330070.
all these adhesive manufacturers make similar products to cover most
eventualities.
AT THE END OF THE DAY ITS WHAT YOU FEEL HAPPY WITH IN YOUR OWN HOME.
YOUR NOT LIKELY TO SUE YOURSELF FOR MALPRACTICE ARE YOU.
BUT JUST THINK IF YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT LIFTING TILES EVERY TIME YOU PICK YOUR TOOLS UP OFF GARAGE FLOOR.

JOHNNY.

R

Raja

thank u johnny the garage was built with the home in august 2007. iwil take u advice on board
as i was going to do as u said lay adhesive then place ditra above then my final layer of adhesive followed by a hard wearing porcelain tile thanks alot boss

F

frogeye

Hi
ceramics are a bit cold in a garage - (speaks the voice of experience)
ever thought of those plastic interlocking tiles?
I last saw them at the Classic Car Show at the NEC
Looks really nice plus they are warm to lie on take only a few hours to lay - no glue etc and should cost I guess about £400 or so for a floor your size.
I will be having a new garage built this year and will definitely be having it
Just a thought
frogeye

R

Raja

Hi
ceramics are a bit cold in a garage - (speaks the voice of experience)
ever thought of those plastic interlocking tiles?
I last saw them at the Classic Car Show at the NEC
Looks really nice plus they are warm to lie on take only a few hours to lay - no glue etc and should cost I guess about £400 or so for a floor your size.
I will be having a new garage built this year and will definitely be having it
Just a thought
frogeye
frogeye thanks for our post i just wanted it to b like u c when u walk into a bike shop their tiles look so gud and heard wearing never notice a single scrath or crack on them

F

frogeye

Hi Don
I know what you mean, but if you intend working in the garage then I would advise against ceramic etc tiles.
In my garage I have slabs and they are cold - especially now as I need to change the oil in the frog.
Try this link - http://www.versatileflooring.co.uk/...looring.html?gclid=CMmX69be3ZECFQINEgodGhEUeQ

hope it works

it is one type of many of these floors - when I come to buy I will delve a little deeper, although I know one variety was covered in a recent article in my Classic Car mag.

I can't wait to fit these, a double roller shutter and a nice heater....mmm heaven

frogeye

J

JOHNNYCLARKE

I ve seen them too with a couple of porshes sitting on top.
Looked great and you can replace individual tiles if oil leaks etcc.
Dont think porshes get oil leaks though.
Only draw back is you have to get a reallly flat base. and what latex really self levels,
Thats another debate entirely. Ill start with k15 ardurit but would love to find something cheaper for all the electric heating I cover .

Johnny

A

alex1963

would it be easier to rip the paint off with a 9 inch and then just prime and use your normal good quality adhesive? pay special attension to the garage entrance as this is where most problems will occur;i know your bike wont crush any tiles but what if you sell the house and it gets used for cars

Reply to Tiling Garage Floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen