Discuss Tiling Floor Former With Long Tiles in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

E

EmmC

Hi. I'm planning on changing an en suite shower into a wetroom. I'd like to have wood effect floorboard style floor tiles (120 cm x 20). Would you foresee any problems when tiling the floor former i.e. can they still be staggered or would they all have to be cut in line as I think that would ruin the effect. Also would a linear or standard drain be easier to work with (the short edge of the tile would butt up to the linear drain)? Thanks.

O

Old Mod

A linear drain would certainly help with your design idea but there are still problems to overcome if you wish it to be seamless with the rest of the floor, and not have the shape of the former highlighted with a joint around its perimeter, but it is possible.
Position of the former in relation to the rest of the room would be key to achieving your desired outcome.

E

EmmC

image.jpeg
Thanks for the reply. Have attached a sketch of how I envisage it at the moment based on current layout of pipes etc. It could be re-configured. The tiles would run parallel to the door.

I would like to avoid any perimeter lines if possible (could even change the length of the tile to 90 cm). Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

O

Old Mod

Do u intend on having some kind of glass screen, would it run parralell to door also?

Are there any height restrictions at the door?

E

EmmC

Yes, I will have a glass screen but wasn't sure which way was best - parallel to the door or between the shower and the WC. No height restrictions, it's 2.5m floor to ceiling. Thanks.

O

One Day

Both wedi and Schluter make single-fall trays which would achieve what you're after. No envelope cuts.

O

Old Mod

Both wedi and Schluter make single-fall trays which would achieve what you're after. No envelope cuts.
So how would u go about getting over the angle of fall with a broken bond and not cut a line across the edge of the former Imp?

O

Old Mod

A seamless floor can be achieved using PCS Wedge boards available from Lee@TileTown,
First lay 10mm flat boards at far end of room, 3x1200x600, this will leave a 150 off cut, keep to one side.
Then overlay with 1200x1200 wedge boards, these boards are graduated from 20mm down to 10mm.
So now u are left with a 20mm step across room in the middle. So now lay a second board over remainder of floor, this will take u from 20mm down to 10mm and leave a 150 strip. U can in fill this with the first off cut flat board. Then place your linear drain in desired position.
That's a very basic description of the method and there are other things to be taken into account, like the small wedge across face of door, but in reality it wouldn't be much of a rake.
So I've just outlined it. Otherwise it would be a very involved post.
If u wish to go ahead then each element can be tackled along the way.
image.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I

Italy

A seamless floor can be achieved using PCS Wedge boards available from
Lee@TileTown,
First lay 10mm flat boards at far end of room, 3x1200x600, this will leave a 150 off cut, keep to one side.
Then overlay with 1200x1200 wedge boards, these boards are graduated from 20mm down to 10mm.
So now u are left with a 20mm step across room in the middle. So now lay a second board over remainder of floor, this will take u from 20mm down to 10mm and leave a 150 strip. U can in fill this with the first off cut flat board. Then place your linear drain in desired position.
That's a very basic description of the method and there are other things to be taken into account, like the small wedge across face of door, but in reality it wouldn't be much of a rake.
So I've just outlined it. Otherwise it would be a very involved post.
If u wish to go ahead then each element can be tackled along the way.
View attachment 79354
missing bidet marc !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ............

O

One Day

So how would u go about getting over the angle of fall with a broken bond and not cut a line across the edge of the former Imp?

I only said no envelope cuts. Of course there would be breaks at the start of the tray.
if required, you could grout that line in a matching colour to minimise the impact.

Reply to Tiling Floor Former With Long Tiles in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks