Discuss Tiling en suite in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

MattC

Hi all,
I've just finished tiling kitchen and all seems to have gone well.
I'm going to start in my en suite this weekend but wanted some help.
It's brand new and plasterboard was plastered 2 months ago. The shower tray has been fitted so now I need to tile.
I've got some 6mm 'no more ply' to lay on chipboard floor and think it would be good to put on the walls too.
Do I just dot and dab no more ply in shower enclosure walls?
Does it need priming before putting boards on the walls or just after?
Also do I need to tank wet area before or after putting boards on walls or not at all?
Sorry for all the questions, new to all this!
Thanks in advance

O

One Day

Hi, cement board like nmp is NOT waterproof.
It's good for floors - provides a strong bond for the tiles and won't break down if wet like chipboard.
I hate the stuff on walls. In my opinion there's no place for it on walls.
As you have plastered the boards, if you spot-fix nmp to the plaster skim, then tile it - the weight will very likely pull the skim off the plasterboard, along with the nmp and tiles!
You need now to get a tanking kit and just waterproof the plastered walls.
I would recommend Ardex WP or BAL Tank-it (not from Topps though).

Please - forget about nmp on walls. The only way you could/would do this is to screw 10mm nmp onto the studs INSTEAD of plasterboard. Then these would still need tanking anyway, so all in all - a pointless expense!

M

MattC

Hi, cement board like nmp is NOT waterproof.
It's good for floors - provides a strong bond for the tiles and won't break down if wet like chipboard.
I hate the stuff on walls. In my opinion there's no place for it on walls.
As you have plastered the boards, if you spot-fix nmp to the plaster skim, then tile it - the weight will very likely pull the skim off the plasterboard, along with the nmp and tiles!
You need now to get a tanking kit and just waterproof the plastered walls.
I would recommend Ardex WP or BAL Tank-it (not from Topps though).

Please - forget about nmp on walls. The only way you could/would do this is to screw 10mm nmp onto the studs INSTEAD of plasterboard. Then these would still need tanking anyway, so all in all - a pointless expense!
Thank you very much for the reply.
So would I still need to prime the walls or does tanking it do the same thing as well as waterproofing it?
Why not from topps by the way? More expensive or different product?

O

One Day

No need to prime with some kits, but check the instructions. If you buy BAL from Topps they will charge a fortune. Better from ctd or an independent.

M

MattC

No need to prime with some kits, but check the instructions. If you buy BAL from Topps they will charge a fortune. Better from ctd or an independent.
Just been into topps they can do the BAL waterproof plus kits for £89.99 at "trade price" Does that seem reasonable as not sure if I've got any independents nearby.

O

One Day

Just been into topps they can do the BAL waterproof plus kits for £89.99 at "trade price" Does that seem reasonable as not sure if I've got any independents nearby.

That's around twice what I'd expect to pay.
Good old Topps. The tradesmans best friend!

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
98 quid for a tank it kit from topps what a job I got aqua defence from ctd about 42 quid

Reply to Tiling en suite in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks