Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling a shower - Uncertain on enclosure fitting in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

newreno

Hello everyone,

I'd really appreciate some advice. I did some tiling in our upstairs bathroom just under a year ago but left it half-completed. We don't use that bathroom and life got in the way as it does! I'm now coming back to it and am starting to doubt myself on some of the work!!

The problem is about the shower area. I had the tray fitted before tiling which I think is correct. I then tiled around it, cutting the tiles to make a nice fit and leaving a 1mm gap between the tray and the tiles for silicon. The walls aren't plumb though, so I used a fair amount of adhesive on one wall to level everything out. This might be where I went wrong?

The edge of the tiles come down over the top of the tray about half a centimetre on the one side and about two centimetres on the other side. Is this too much to still fit the enclosure? I've never fitted an enclosure before so am not sure how they work, e.g. if they're adjustable.

It's actually a rental property with a contract that discounts the rent in exchange for us making renovations during our stay. Pretty standard here in Germany (although I'm from the UK). The tray was fitted flush to the plasterboard by the rental agency's workmen so I know it was meant to be tiled around (i.e. British style) as opposed to tiled first and the tray set on top (i.e. continental style). The workmen will come in to fit the shower enclosure after we've finished the tiling, so I don't have direct access to the enclosure to check. I could ask them to come over and check everything/provide the information, but they're not the easiest people so best not poke the bear unless unavoidable!!

I stopped tiling just after the shower, so if anything has to change then it won't ruin too much. But obviously this isn't ideal. On the other hand I might just be being paranoid. It'd be great if someone could put my mind at rest......

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SJPurdy

Most enclosures are adjustable by a few mm, so I would suggest measuring what size of enclosure is now needed after tiling and check with the agencies workmen that they have the right size.

N

newreno

Thanks SJPurdy, really appreciated. The enclosure may not have been bought yet - unless you normally buy the enclosure and tray together? I have no idea there. If it hasn't been bought, do you think they'll be able to buy one that definitely fits? If it has been bought, will a standard enclosure not be adjustable to the level I need?

As a more general question, is it abnormal to have overlapped this much? It seemed necessary when I was doing it as a way of levelling out the wall, but it was a while ago so I can't be 100%. The tiles around the base look square and you can still see the brand name printed on the top lip of the tray, so it doesn't look too unusual. I just worry that 5mm on one side and 20mm on the other is unusual/poor/difficult for the enclosure.

Cheers lads.

N

newreno

Thanks for the advice. I've done some research based on these postings and most quadrant shower enclosures seem to have an adjustment of at least 25mm on both the door and side panel. I assume the adjustment can be made to both?

I'll check with the agency to confirm, but this info will certainly help me sleep more easily tonight. :smilewinkgrin:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Most enclosure s have a 30-40mm adjustment. Quadrants aren't the easiest things to line up if you have a difference in tiled depth either side. Getting it to sit even around the arc can be a pain.
I'd give them the heads up and chance to measure up before they go ahead and purchase one.

N

newreno

Thanks AliGage. I'll see if they want to pop around, but I'll at least give them the measurements.

Is the 30-40mm adjustment in total, i.e. 15/20mm on both sides? And is my situation unusual, i.e. having 5mm on one side and 20mm in the other? This is my first time tiling and I'm pleased with how it looks, but I obviously have no experience on this end of things.

Cheers.

N

newreno

Oh, and I think I've used completely the wrong term here. The shower is a 'normal' square shape, so I think not a quadrant type. Will this help with the installation?

N

newreno

Enough to cause a problem, or just enough to notice a professional hasn't done it? :)

The problem is how the one wall slants a little, so padding out with adhesive seemed the best way of doing it. They're also big tiles (600x600) so not so much room for play + rather have too much mortar than too little when uncertain.

Thanks for all of the replies lads.

Reply to Tiling a shower - Uncertain on enclosure fitting in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen