Discuss Tiles Keep Cracking in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

RP13

Hi, after some advise if possible! I laid a natural limestone floor in my house over piped underfloor heating. It's a pump screed that had been down for roughly a year and tested super dry on a moisture meter. It's a new system boiler system . So after a year I fitted the heating system turned it on and roughly over a week and a half took it through its paces before shutting it off and leaving to cool for 3 days. I then used keracol primer 2 coats. Before putting the limestone tiles down fully surrated to the floor using the h40 Eco ideal adhesive. I then used bal super flex grout. I left the heating of for 2 weeks after then turned it on at its lowest on both boiler and underfloor heating. I've had about 6 tiles completely crack! Has anybody had anything similar or may have an idea because this one has truly confused me! Never had an issue like this before! Any help would be appreciated!

J

J Sid

Was an uncoupling membrane used?

If you take up these tiles is there any cracks in the screed?

What was the screed exactly?

Any pics?

Last edited by a moderator:
J

J Sid

Reading about the adhesive, it states for 'Stable natural Stone' :(
Isn't most stone 'Unstable' by its very nature......

T

Time's Ran Out

Was the limestone dry prior to fixing?
For me I would always use uncoupling over wet underfloor heating and such a soft stone.
You'll have to take 1up to see if it's tile or screed that's contracted. Was it a fast set adhesive?

R

RP13

Anthracite screed. No membrane used was told by the rep it wasn't needed. It's not in one area there just randomly broke mainly at the edges where there is a gap. I've lifted two there stuck well had to smash it to get it out there is a fracture in the screed under one but I don't understand why this didn't happen when I ran the heating up before.

image.jpg

R

RP13

It's a natural stone supplier where the tiles came from that advised that adhesive. Said they had had 'no problems' with it but I guess that may be sales talk I don't know was nice to use issues only occurred when heating came back on. Wasn't rapid set.

R

RP13

They haven't debonded. As for the prep I sanded all of the area and primed with correct primer two coats 90 degrees
To each other. Exactly what they stated was carried out. There doesn't seem to be any loose it's just the ones that are cracked

J

J Sid

Ufh and Stone, uncoupling membrane or I walk.
I'm not up on these anhydride screeds, but should they crack like that? I've only seen one other one and that had cracks all over, so walked away.

J

J Sid

So you are saying there was no cracks in the screed before tiling only appeared after you tiled?

R

RP13

when I originally ran the heating up I had 2 hairline cracks appear. One where the pipes are brought into the room and one where the sink pipes come out the floor but no others. The tile where the pipes come in had cracked but I can't understand how if it is the screed underneath why didn't it crack originally but when its tiled cracks within 24 hours of the heating back on at low burning

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

you might find when the floor was not tiled it defused the heat very quickly through the screed now tiled the heat needed to get through is higher .and the layer between the screed adhesive and tile is not vented but sealed with the tile so the screed is getting a lot hotter causing cracking

T

Time's Ran Out

Looks like your going to have a bit of work to do to rectify your work!
From the photo and your info the screed had cracked in places so the signs were there and the correct substrate preparation should have been approved - using an uncoupling membrane. However the cracks may continue to develop so it may be ongoing.

Reply to Tiles Keep Cracking in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks