Search the forum,

Discuss Tiles coming off easy and net set. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Hi guys, I put up hardiebacker and primed with Ball APD 1:1 ratio at 2 coats. After that I applied 2 coats of Aquadefense.
I started tiling (30mm×10mm) tiles, using 8mm trowel. I did a few rows, and left it to continue the following day. I Continued with the tiling but, by the next few rows I was not happy with it so I decided to start over. So removed them last night.

To my surprise the rows I did the day before (which should be rock hard by then) came of super dupa easy, revealing what looked liked crumbly dry/ish adhesive with had not set.

Also, the Aquadefense seemed damp and when removed the hardiebacker seemed damp too, like it sucked the moisture of the adhesive
Lucky I decided to start again as it looks like tiles would have fallen of by the weekend.

I have no idea what I've done wrong, maybe too much adhesive? Or maybe its the Aquadefense, as i covered joints with the same (Mapgrip D2 Ready Mix) adhseive prior, and adhesive dried fine.

Any ideas?

B

Bill

Because you have applied aquadefense, the walls have become non-absorbant and this nullifies the effect of the D2 adhesive.

D2 adhesive cures by evaporation so if you have enclosed the adhesive, then it will not set. (well not for some time anyway)

Are the tiles ceramic or porcelain?

have a look at the data sheet.

http://www.mapei.com/public/GB/products/2702-mapegripd2-uk.pdf

Reply to Tiles coming off easy and net set. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement