Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiles Chipping With A New Blade in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

py rookie

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi peeps I'm having trouble with tiles called tones,Johnson's tiles,when I use my grinder with a brand new blade on it,the tiles are chipping,especially around the window,any advice would be great ta

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Change your thread title. Try to be a bit more informative with your titles, as "Advice needed" could apply to every single thread on the forum, so people don't know what your thread is about before visiting it. If you put "grinder with chipping tiles" in it, somebody who's had the same issue will quickly spot it and perhaps respond.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I had that blade in my cutter......seemed to chip tiles aswell especially the cheap crap ones...

I find the blades i use for cutting most decent tiles tend to chip the really crap tiles must be the thin glaze on them..
Got round it once by borrowing a customers cheap crap wet cutter....cut them a treat!!!
Moral of the story...cut crap tiles with a crap cutter....o_O

U

Unused Account 1

Hi peeps I'm having trouble with tiles called tones,Johnson's tiles,when I use my grinder with a brand new blade on it,the tiles are chipping,especially around the window,any advice would be great ta
When getting a new blade run it through some travertine ,seem to bed it a bit ,with it being natural stone

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I bought a marcrist ck 850,they are Johnson's tones tiles yeah look cheap

Try holding a damp sponge against the blade while cutting it to keep it cool. I do it quite a bit if I can't be bothered setting my wet saw up.
Be careful what though.

M

mattle40

I've heard ck850's are very good but I really didn't get along with mine, chipped loads. If I was trying to do a particularly thin L cut (20x10 around a socket) then I had no chance at all, vibration just broke the tile. Maybe I had a bad one.

AD Ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've heard ck850's are very good but I really didn't get along with mine, chipped loads. If I was trying to do a particularly thin L cut (20x10 around a socket) then I had no chance at all, vibration just broke the tile. Maybe I had a bad one.

Try ATS diamond blades. A quarter of the price and better. I have been buying ck850's for years but no more they've gone crap, try the turbo blade from ATS.
turn the grinder on and off quick and check the blade as I slows down it may have a kink in it as mine did the other week, instead of a 2mm cut thickness it was doing about 4mm

M

mattle40

Try ATS diamond blades. A quarter of the price and better. I have been buying ck850's for years but no more they've gone crap, try the turbo blade from ATS.
turn the grinder on and off quick and check the blade as I slows down it may have a kink in it as mine did the other week, instead of a 2mm cut thickness it was doing about 4mm
I just recently got an ats turbo pal, again not the best blade I've used but like you say, a fraction of the price and a lot better than the 850, pro gres for me next tho

py rookie

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Yeah I think the blade is not the best,it as soon as it touches the tiles the paint just rips off hence chipping,doesn't help with the tiles are black and grey

C

Concrete guy

Use a continuous rim blade for tiles like this, the turbo design by it's very nature will cause chipping on some delicate or lower quality products.

Continuous rim blades are cleaner/smoother in action but don't cut as fast.

O

Old Mod

Yep def with Alan ^^^ turbo blades are too aggressive with ceramics by far!
Need continuous rim like a J slot!
Other suggestions will work too mind.

Reply to Tiles Chipping With A New Blade in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks