Search the forum,

Discuss Tilers which one to use in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

KD8080

-
Reaction score
Hi,
New to the site and first post.
I need some advice please. I have 2 quotes from tilers and one has said that self levelling is a waste of time and money and the other tiler said he our floor would need self levelling first.

Our floor is concrete with underfloor heating and is a little wavey in places and chips in it. Tiler 1 said he would use adhesive to pack out and build up and level the tiles which are 60x40x15 limestone. There is about £1000 difference in the quotes and unsure if self levelling is needed. Also I know prices will differ depending on location but is there anywhere I can find out the average cost of a job like mine. Any advice/help.would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Subscribed
Reaction score
Hi and welcome. It depends on how uneven it is. I would also be looking at self levelling, a flat floor is much better to work on. Packing up with adhesive on a heated floor beyond adhesive depth recommendations isn’t advisable.

As for prices , as you say it can vary.

Couple questions , with the floor being heated , is there any cracks in the floor and it’s definitely concrete?

KD8080

-
Reaction score
:)
Hi and welcome. It depends on how uneven it is. I would also be looking at self levelling, a flat floor is much better to work on. Packing up with adhesive on a heated floor beyond adhesive depth recommendations isn’t advisable.

As for prices , as you say it can vary.

Couple questions , with the floor being heated , is there any cracks in the floor and it’s definitely concrete?
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the reply. There are some cracks in the floor and yes definitely concrete. Both tilers will use anti crack matting.
Price wise I've been quoted for laying 50m2 including limestone and materials £4600 (this quote includes self levelling) and £3600 (not inc self levelling).

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Subscribed
Reaction score
if that’s including materials and stone, that seems ok. If your using crack matting, then the floor needs to be flat to get the correct bond between screed/adhesive and matting. So imho it requires levelling first.

KD8080

-
Reaction score
if that’s including materials and stone, that seems ok. If your using crack matting, then the floor needs to be flat to get the correct bond between screed/adhesive and matting. So imho it requires levelling first.
Thanks Dave and both quotes are for materials and stone.

KD8080

-
Reaction score
:)Hi, can I just double check prices as I have had a break down on materials ect.

For anticrack mat, tile adhesive, primer, sealer, self levelling compound, travertine grout - £980

Labour for tiling, preparing floor and anticrack mat - 1820

Limestones tiles - £1800

Does this sound about right for materials (materials sound a little high) and labour? Many thanks

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Subscribed
Reaction score
:)Hi, can I just double check prices as I have had a break down on materials ect.

For anticrack mat, tile adhesive, primer, sealer, self levelling compound, travertine grout - £980

Labour for tiling, preparing floor and anticrack mat - 1820

Limestones tiles - £1800

Does this sound about right for materials (materials sound a little high) and labour? Many thanks
That’s a good price imho. I’d be more than that labour wise. And materials is good price as well. 50 mtrs of crack matting would be over £400. Easy.

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
I agree that's a really competitive price and I'd be inclined to go with the tiler who insisted on the self levelling. To get the best result, the prep work being right is the most important thing

Reply to Tilers which one to use in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen