Discuss Tiler mistakes - Advice required in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

Laurenmac

I would like some advise. We booked a tiler for a new build with quite a lot of work to be done. I asked him for a price and I remember I asked in square metres. Now the jobs done he said that price is in yards. Can anyone tell me if that’s common or if he’s trying to squeeze more out of us. He is also trying to say that it’s extra to lay large tiles 60x120 ( only mentioned after fitting) and bathroom small tiles. We still felt like he over priced with all this included. So measured ourselves and was quite abit more. He’s now saying tilers measure through the walls. I have never heard of this before and want to check if any of this is correct or if he’s just trying it on to get paid more. The work is fine and we are happy with that just seems like extra keep getting added to the bill

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Please take time to register matey and we will help you out.

Reaction score
Yes it’s true that either very large or very small tiles cost more to lay- so he’s correct there.
However it all depends on what was agreed in the first place. If you told him it would be 600 x 300 and he priced for that- and then you changed it to 1200 x 600 then yes the price would go up. However I would expect this to be discussed at the time rather than sprung on you at the end.
If you’re happy with the job you should pay up - no figures have been given so I don’t know if the extra cost is reasonable or not- but you should definitely be prepared to pay more if you changed the spec.

Reaction score
Yes it’s true that either very large or very small tiles cost more to lay- so he’s correct there.
However it all depends on what was agreed in the first place. If you told him it would be 600 x 300 and he priced for that- and then you changed it to 1200 x 600 then yes the price would go up. However I would expect this to be discussed at the time rather than sprung on you at the end.
If you’re happy with the job you should pay up - no figures have been given so I don’t know if the extra cost is reasonable or not- but you should definitely be prepared to pay more if you changed the spec.
I would second this, although I’d say the majority of tilers now price in meters. Most of the people old enough to price in yards that I ever worked with would probably be retired now.

Reply to Tiler mistakes - Advice required in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks