Search the forum,

Discuss tileing on gloss paint in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

andyb_987

Hi everyone,
Just priced up my first job :hurray: Quick question, there is gloss paint on the wall. Is it okay just to score the paint then prime and tile straight on top?

All help appreciated cheers:grin:

A

andyb_987

My notes say use the 10 min tape test. IF sound then wash with sugar soap then score heavily every 50mm to aid adhesion.
Alternatvily (I know spelling) remove the paint altogether. mechanical method not strippers.
Hey guys I am new to tiling done a bit for my family and figured that I could make money as I have done a good job for myslf and family,
So I have done a course at the NETT in Jan which was a good course.

I will post answers to other peoples thread once I have more experience and confidence.

I was a bit annoyed though that answered my question:furious3:
But hey I m over it and look forward to more communacation with all u fellow tilers:yes:
cheers:grin:
Out of interest are my notes correct?

G

grumpygrouter

Not wanting to contradict what NETT say so, yes! It is also what I learned on my course and that wasn't NETT.

Grumpy

G

GazTech

My notes say use the 10 min tape test. IF sound then wash with sugar soap then score heavily every 50mm to aid adhesion.
Alternatvily (I know spelling) remove the paint altogether. mechanical method not strippers.
Hey guys I am new to tiling done a bit for my family and figured that I could make money as I have done a good job for myslf and family,
So I have done a course at the NETT in Jan which was a good course.

I will post answers to other peoples thread once I have more experience and confidence.

I was a bit annoyed though that answered my question:furious3:
But hey I m over it and look forward to more communacation with all u fellow tilers:yes:
cheers:grin:
Out of interest are my notes correct?
I answered your post as soon as I logged on today, and yes I think the methods are right in your manual, you can always put one tile on the wall with your intended adhesive and,see if the two react.....Gaz:grin:

G

grumpygrouter

Stick a good quality masking/sticky tape firmly to the paint surface, leave 10 mins and then rip it off quickly. If paint comes off with tape then you can't tile onto it as yer tiles will fall off!

Grumpy

Reply to tileing on gloss paint in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen