Search the forum,

Discuss Tile water absorbtion experiment in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 49260

You do realise if my missus sees this I'll have to take down all the ceramics I've put up and replace with porc.... Took me ages too as I'm just a DIYer... Might have to use epoxy snot and paint them instead :)

C

Canyondust

Thanks for such an interesting test and results, plus the work and effort to make it happen. (And boiling tiles!).

Given it would seem reasonable that only one face of the tile is likely to be exposed to water, And a lesser extent the edges is this a totally fair test.

Would it be a reasonable hypothesis that the glazed face of the ceramic tile does not absorb water at the same rate as the none glazed face. If so totally submerging would not be real.

A system test with all components involved would make more sense. So one could imagine a more porous grout vs less making a difference. My feelings are the glazed tile would show significant improvements over it's peers in the case and they are unlikely to show such results in a real bathroom.

Anyway again thankyou for the work and giving us all something to think about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

Qwerty

The test is to demonstrate what would occur should a failure of the tile or grout was to occur and was purely showing how much water different tiles absorb.

Another member once conducted a test with cement grout between tiles which were continually exposed to water. It took less time than he thought for it to reach the substrate.

Porous grout will always absorb water.
A ceramic tile face whether glazed or not will never absorb as much water as the back or sides.

Feel free to conduct a test of your own.

C

Canyondust

Hi.

Even if the grout was removed I still do not feel it is representative of a system test. The glazed part of the tile must be providing significant benefits to protecting against spray ingress.

My real point is that if we conducted a system test (of a wall section) in an environment chamber to simulate spray, water vapour and prolonged high humidity such as one would find in a wet room the glazed tile is likely (this is my hypothesis) perform significantly better than purported.

ASTM 373 really talks about material tests.

D

Dumbo

Hi.

Even if the grout was removed I still do not feel it is representative of a system test. The glazed part of the tile must be providing significant benefits to protecting against spray ingress.

My real point is that if we conducted a system test (of a wall section) in an environment chamber to simulate spray, water vapour and prolonged high humidity such as one would find in a wet room the glazed tile is likely (this is my hypothesis) perform significantly better than purported.

ASTM 373 really talks about material tests.
Crack on then and let us know how you get then . But before you bother i will tell you i have removed ceramic tiles from failed instalations and they have been wet .

C

Canyondust

Any particular reason for your reticence?

Crack on with What? Are people not allowed opinions and comments ?

Reply to Tile water absorbtion experiment in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen