Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tile water absorbtion experiment in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

United Kingdom
Q

Qwerty

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Following on from the discussion in another thread about not fitting ceramic tiles in a shower/ bathroom I have decided to conduct a little experiment.

I plan on testinghow much water tiles absorb.

I have 3 tiles to test-
-Glazed ceramic (10mm)
-Soft glazed Grade 3 Porcelain (11mm)
-Full bodied Grade 5 Porcelain (10mm)

Each tile weighs 304 grams so the water absorbtion will be easier to see and calculate as a %.

I will submerge the pieces for 24hrs then remove, wipe down excess and weigh. I will record each weight and then boil all 3 pieces for 15 mins. Somebody suggested water absorbtion for Porcelain is under boiling water so in the interests of fairness I will blast them for 15 mins to see if that makes any difference.

This could be a total failure and prove nothing but I have a feeling not.

Let the experiment commence!!! :D:)

Tile 1
20170429_193913.jpg

Tile 2
20170429_193829.jpg

Tile 3
20170429_193817.jpg

Tiles submerged at 8pm last night....

20170429_202028.jpg

And no, a Rubi wasn't used to cut Tile 2...... I had to chip of a gram to make the weight even !!!!!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Are you totally submerging them or just one end..?

BTW .....good on you and look forward to the results.

(Hope you had a white coat on, ear defenders and safety glasses)...:)

OP
Q

Qwerty

Haha, no I forgot the white coat. White pants count? :D

Yes, tiles fully submerged (you can even see the bubble on the edge of Tile 1) and No, scales not stuck!!!!

OP
F

Flintstone

I've left off cuts of ceramic outside before and when I've gone back to them after a few rainy days, you could see the moisture in them from the face, behind the glaze, be good to compare that ceramic to a dry ceramic for appearance

Kyle Knowles

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I was thinking about it but I've not got any weights to use to find the breaking point or even a torque wrench to get breaking force

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Good work Plan Tec

I would also like to see tests done on flexible adhesives and grout and what they actually mean by 'flexible'.
I mean say you tile and peice of plasterboard lent up against the garage wall and then bend it I can't see the grout taking much punishment to crack it.

Reply to Tile water absorbtion experiment in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock