Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tile Shading issue advise in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Well, for a start, I wouldn't be dealing with you direct. You'd put your concerns to the customer for them to contact us (with your input if required).

This is a case of a warehouse picking error, not shading like the OP has suggested, so will differ in approach. We have T&C's but we also have sympathy and common sense, so it would go something like this:

I'll say "we", but the supplier acknowledges they have eff'd up and send out the missing tiles immediately (fingers crossed, you are still on the job by the time they arrive).

Its taken you an additional day, to which you put a bill into the customer which they have to pay. Thats you, the fixer, sorted. The customer will then forward us the quote to us, to which the resolution will be negotiated.

So to the problem in hand, she has taken delivery, checked the condition, appears to be in good nick, so signs the paperwork. Fare enough we don't expect it all to be checked on the roadside because thats silly. But they have a delivery note that has the quantities. They don't leave them on the roadside for two weeks until you arrive. So why not when taking them into the house, they count the boxes/tiles? If they got delivered into the house, just double check it. It will also say on the delivery note to check the delivery and notify the supplier if there are any issues within (our case) 48 hours, although we also know this isn't always possible. But really two weeks? And if anyone says after reading this "why should she have to check?", why would anyone have to check a delivery for anything? answer yourself these 3 questions, 1. Is everyone on the planet perfect? 2. Do mistakes happen? 3. Have you never checked a delivery that was in some way incorrect? (lucky bugger if not :))

She's not being asked to do anything difficult, just count and check the condition. And if she did, it would have been spotted, rectified, with 10 days still to spare before you're due to arrive. shouldn't have cost anyone anything, except the supplier for additional carriage of sending the balance.

What would the resolution be? down to the boss, but "my personal hat on" it "should" go 50/50 between the supplier and the customer. With "my company hat on" and being ruled by the manager, customer might get a % refund against their order as goodwill gesture for the inconvenience, which might or might not cover the cost of the additional labour. We have a duty to send the order correct, we failed. The customer has a duty to check the order, they failed. Tiler "we assume" is checking the tiles for quality and shade before fixing. Didn't fit any faulty ones did you? no..... so no liability falls to you.

Again, this is my personal view..... You've done the work. You should be paid, by the customer, with assistance from the supplier. But people shouldn't expect all suppliers to deviate from their T&C's. The rules of the sale are there in black and white. The customers accepts them on order. But its not the suppliers fault if the customer chooses to ignore them.

I've not read T&C's before and got caught out for a reasonable expense. just had to accept it cuz I couldn't do anything about it. I accepted it at the point I handed the money over. Still don't read them in detail now. Gloss over them maybe. And the chances are I will get caught out again, but ultimately it will be me that has to take responsibility for it.
Can we have a more thorough answer next time please? None of this just glossing over the surface ;-)

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
So if the customer has to check there tiles for any issues with in 48 hours, why would any problem with the tiles, weather it's shading, different batches or anything, be the fault of the tiler ? even if he has fitted them ?

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
but, no one has written the phrase as it was written.
it beggars my belief.
All have written, it beggars belief. 4 translators, give the same translation.
if anyone knows Italian, you can try. but mine was only a question, I am a beggar ?.
and no one answered. But the problem is not this, this "gentleman" is 15 days, which to my every response to a trend, he continues to make sarcastic comments, "to say the least" ...
it was only to clarify the reason for my unkind response.
I am a guest here and if everything I've said above, it can do harm to the forum, just say that I take off the trouble.

Moses, when handed the Ten Commandments by God, turned the stone over and etched the 11th commandment , it went
" thou shall not take the piiss out of another unless thou can not take it thouself without throwing dummy out of thou's pram"

Or in italian

Mosè, quando ha consegnato i Dieci Comandamenti di Dio, girò la pietra sopra e inciso il comandamento 11, è andata
"Tu non prendere il piiss di un altro, a meno che tu non ce la fa thouself senza buttare manichino fuori del tu carrozzina"

I mean i was not there on the mountain with him , but i have it on good authority its true ;)

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Moses, when handed the Ten Commandments by God, turned the stone over and etched the 11th commandment , it went
" thou shall not take the piiss out of another unless thou can not take it thouself without throwing dummy out of thou's pram"

Or in italian

Mosè, quando ha consegnato i Dieci Comandamenti di Dio, girò la pietra sopra e inciso il comandamento 11, è andata
"Tu non prendere il piiss di un altro, a meno che tu non ce la fa thouself senza buttare manichino fuori del tu carrozzina"

I mean i was not there on the mountain with him , but i have it on good authority its true ;)

TJ was witness to it, and should be along to verify. @Lithofin BOB was about a bit later to advise on how to protect it

Reply to Tile Shading issue advise in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks