Search the forum,

Discuss Tile Over Old Adhesive? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

gordybaillie

Hi

Have just removed tiles from my bathroom and there is old adhesive still on the plasterboard (plasterboard is fine).

Quick question - can I tile in top of this as it seems solid?

Thanks!

H

hmtiling

If using light ceramics I'd say it would be fine to prime, tank if wet area and tile.

G

gordybaillie

I will be using a powered adhesive and have got new MR Plasterboard in wet area it is just the rest of the room that is still old plasterboard with adhesive on it.

O

On one

Not sure what Whitebeam was alluding to.....
....weather the old adhesive on the walls or the adhesive your going to use?

If the old adhesive is ready mixed tubbed adhesive...
I would use this Gundlach 100mm Scraper £10.79 in stock - next day UK delivery plus Tile Cutters and Tiling Tools ,then if that fails I would use a steam wallpaper stripper(because I already have a one) this will moisten the adhesive in seconds if used lightly and sparingly.
If the old adhesive is powdered cement based adhesive used correctly it isn't going anywhere....so (possibly tile over).

Reply to Tile Over Old Adhesive? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen