Search the forum,

Discuss Tile Over Existing Tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
can't say I've ever been a big fan of tiling over existing tiles but if the customer needed a small downstairs toilet floor or something similar and were on a budget, then as long as current tiles we're firmly fixed and sound with no underling issues, then I've always agreed to do it using a flexible cement based adhesive or similar depending wether concrete or ply base, and tbh I've never had a come back although to be fair it's very few I've tiled this way. I'm a firm believer in "out with the old, inn with the new"

Here's where it gets tricky! Mapei themselves have been out, surveyed a job and told one of my customers that it would be fine to tile over existing using there adhesive.

I'm no technical adhesive expert or mathmatician, but I'm very aware that adhesive companies like to swerve from a guarantee on there adhesives.

So if Mapei have said it's ok using there products and I'm agreeing to do job to that spec, then where do I stand "if" any tiles ever pop up Due to no fault in installation?

Bearing in mind this is a 400m floor.

Do I need a Mapei rep to overlook the job for me?

As always, any help appreciated.

Thanks

Q

Qwerty

400m2, personally I would walk away TBH. Even if you did get mapei out, I doubt they would guarantee any work as they only guarantee their products not anything else. To big a job to go wrong

O

Old Mod

I've done a couple of jobs where I've brought in different tech departments for their guidance, and had their recommendations in writing and then carried on.
Must admit (touch wood!) so far so good! but actually reading this thread and seeing someone else go thro the process makes me wonder how much I could actually rely on their recommendation if things started to go wrong.
I didn't actually even consider the possibility that although they guarantee their products they weren't guaranteeing me! Haha
There's arrogance for you! :D

O

Old Mod

It may well be a good idea to get opinions from others on here, others may have very different views or experiences. I'm sure getting something from Mapei up front in the mean time won't hurt tho.
Try asking any of the TTA members like @DavidHoweTiling I'm sure they may be able to give u a more considered opinion.

S

stephenoneill

If tiles ate sound. Wash.prime. slc.and your good to go .never had a problem .and here in france all tiling work carries a 10 year warranty.

Reply to Tile Over Existing Tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen