Search the forum,

Discuss Tile Edge in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

blueevo

Hi all,

I am looking for a tile edge which I can put on after tiling. I couldn't make my mind up which one to get before my tiler done the job, so now I am after something that will finish off the look. The tiles are floor to mid-height of the ceiling, so just shy of much eye level.

I was after something I could stick on, but can't find anything. Something like the car trim you see in these car places that is plastic adhesive but looks metal.

Either that, or buying a "proper" tile edge and cutting the but that goes behind the tile - which I am trying to avoid!

OR? Are there any tiles that have a 45 degree angle (from bottom to top) which I can place above the current tile? Only after a couple of CM in height max really.

Any ideas you guys could throw my way would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

Jim.

D

doug boardley

Jim, why on earth did your tiler fix the tiles before you got the trim, retro fitting the trim is not good:thumbsdown:

B

blueevo

Doug,

As this is my first post, and the place where I have come for help, your post was not too helpful.

I would appreciate it if anyone else could be a bit more supportive in their suggestions and address my issue, and not just re-iterate the obvious flaw in my DIY plan - something I cannot change now.

Cheers,

Jim.

D

doug boardley

well Jim, very sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but if you look on my avatar you'll see that I do quite often get thanked for my advice:welcome:

D

doug boardley

...or take off the tiles on one corner, fit a trim as it's supposed to be fitted and then retile the corner.

M

Mike

Hi all,

I am looking for a tile edge which I can put on after tiling. I couldn't make my mind up which one to get before my tiler done the job, so now I am after something that will finish off the look. The tiles are floor to mid-height of the ceiling, so just shy of much eye level.

I was after something I could stick on, but can't find anything. Something like the car trim you see in these car places that is plastic adhesive but looks metal.

Either that, or buying a "proper" tile edge and cutting the but that goes behind the tile - which I am trying to avoid!

OR? Are there any tiles that have a 45 degree angle (from bottom to top) which I can place above the current tile? Only after a couple of CM in height max really.

Any ideas you guys could throw my way would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

Jim.
you can get an aluminium trim which is about 10 mm wide and about 8mm deep with a slight curve on the face. i've fitted a lot of them but not for a few years now but i'm sure you'd still source them somewhere.

S

Stewart

You could use a Listelo trim, most tile shops do them and they come in couple of sizes, or you could look at the Schluter catalogue on-line. They probably have the widest choice of trims but can be quite expensive.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Doug,

As this is my first post, and the place where I have come for help, your post was not too helpful.

I would appreciate it if anyone else could be a bit more supportive in their suggestions and address my issue, and not just re-iterate the obvious flaw in my DIY plan - something I cannot change now.

Cheers,

Jim.

Jim,

We can't really condone incorrect tiling. As this thread on our forum will be live forever, not only do we need to help you to fix the problem now, we have to make sure we are pointing out the initial error to ensure others reading this in the future don't make the same mistake.

Please don't take offence to such comments. Doug really wouldn't mean it to be read that way.

However, back to the problem, you'll probably need to pull off that last row, re-cut them, and then fix them on top of the trim. You'll be cutting off about the thickness of the trim off the tile.

B

blueevo

Thank you for all your suggestions. I will have a look at these when I finish work.

Doug: As much as I appreciate your timely response 3 minutes after my post, it was purely the content that I deemed unwelcoming. I can see you are a very active member, and that deserves a lot of respect, without a doubt. On this occasion, it was not one of your most constructive peices of advice to my situation and I hope on reflection this is apparent. No hard feelings, I shouldn't have done it wrong in the first place.

Dan: Thank you for your response. I do not take offence to Doug's comments. I have to apologise in that I knew what I was doing was not the correct way and I should have stated in my original post that this is not the way to do things. However, I did not know that finding a trim to stick on top of a tile edge would be so difficult. I came on to the forum for help, not to have my fault re-iterated again (I could have the wife her thoughts for that! :)). I agree with pointing out inital errors, but like you say, helping me out should have been on the table as well.

It certainly wasn't the most welcoming of first reply's. I can appreciate that Doug has been helpful in previous posts, forums would not work without the likes of Doug and peoples dedication to answering other peoples questions.

Let's put this behind us and get me some tile edging :)

I will not be removing any tiles from my wall, as the plaster board will come in tow. I am determined to finish off this project with a trim that I will find (or make) from some where :)

Thanks all, I will let you know how I get on with the previous suggestions.

Have a great day - update to follow.

Jim

D

doug boardley

No worries Jim, maybe I was a little hastey:thumbsup:How are the tiles finished at the moment? is it possible to maybe get a paint scraper through the edge and scrape some adhesive out so that a tile trim (with flange) will slide in behind the tiles? A photo of said corner would be helpful.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
No worries Jim, maybe I was a little hastey:thumbsup:How are the tiles finished at the moment? is it possible to maybe get a paint scraper through the edge and scrape some adhesive out so that a tile trim (with flange) will slide in behind the tiles? A photo of said corner would be helpful.

That could be doable.

Failing that, perhaps cut the flange off a trim and silicone it to the edge? Not the best way to go about I admit.

The issue with cutting the flange off and sticking the trim to the tile, or scraping adhesive out the joint and forcing the trim in, is the fact that the tile really needs to be cut to allow for the 6, 9 or 12mm tile trim to sit right, else it'll just look like trim has been stuck on afterwards.

Though pulling off the last row of tile will bring some plasterboard with it, I still think I'd do that and makeup the plasterboard with plasterboard adhesive or something of that nature, and then cut the row of tiles down by 6 or 9mm or whatever, and re-fix the lot properly.

D

DHTiling

Hi Jim.

As mentioned above, you can get Listello trims in a 2.4 mtr length.. they tend to be around 10mm in depth if any good and you can get them in chrome finish also..

B

blueevo

Alan.P - The trim size would need to be 10mm wide max. If I could get an 8, I could silicon the inside edge to finish it off nicely. Thanks for the question.

MikeFiesta - That is exactly what I am after :)

Steware__SPM - The Listello trim seems to be near enough what I am after. It is a bit too tall, I was after something like a thim (adhesive) strip of ally or alike. Great find though, thank you.

Doug - Looks like I may be getting closer to the trim I want. I really do not want to start scraping behind the tile to slot in a tile edge (although I had considered this an option a short while ago). I have uploaded a couple of photies for people to view.

Dan - Cutting the flange was my fall back option, if I could not find an adhesive tile edge. I agree with the gapping issue if this was the route to go down.

Dave - Exactly - Just what I am after - I thought there would be something out there like this.

Thanks all, I'll let you know what I order over the next few days so we can close this thread off.

Distance view:

tile-distance.JPG

Close up:
tile-close.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jonnyfun

I did the same thing. I used a Bosch edge tool with a tile cutting attachment and easily buzzed a gap all the way around. Trim slid in beautiful. You wouldn’t know it was retro fitted.

Reply to Tile Edge in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen