Search the forum,

Discuss Tile/Adhesive/Plaster Problem in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

BDW317

-
Reaction score
I started removing the tiles in my bathroom today and the majority of the plaster has come off the wall around the shower/bath area (see picture 1 & 2). No matter how carefully I tried to remove each tile either the tile came away and left the adhesive behind, or it all came off with the plaster, often in big chunks. By the sink only a few small patches came off (see picture 3).
I live in a 1960's 3 bed semi with solid walls but I'm guessing the grey material underneath the plaster is the scratch coat rather than concrete? It's hard but does break up if I dig at it with a screwdriver.
If it's the scratch coat then again I presume I cannot tile directly onto it? Would using one coat plaster be ok to patch up around the sink? Could I also use this on the shower wall, or is too much plaster gone and I'd be better off taking it all off and either get it skimmed or put up some hardiebacker board? I can scrape the adhesive off ok, just concerned how stable the rest of the plaster is.
I'll be putting up 250x400x8mm ceramic tiles so well under the 20KG per m2 limit. We only have the one bathroom so I'd rather avoid having to wait weeks for plaster to dry before carrying on. Cheers

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    486.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 2.jpg
    815.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 3.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 21

Reply to Tile/Adhesive/Plaster Problem in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

D
Budget renovation as I just bought the flat. Cavity brick walls, 1 external. Removed old tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi, so I’m relatively new to tiling. I’ve got a job where the walls aren’t 100% flat but not the...
Replies
Views
Seems alot of talk that 20kg per mtr2 is the max weight limit for plaster. Few questions 1. its...
Replies
Views
Morning all, I'm attempting a bit of diy tiling in my kitchen whilst off work. I've pulled off...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen