Search the forum,

Discuss Think Safety Magazine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rooders

hello all . i just thought i would warn people about a possible scam. i was called today from a gentleman claiming he was calling from a head office for the emergency services "fire brigade' and was calling to ask if i would like to be advertised as the only tiler in the the traders section in a new magazine.The Magazine was coming out in 3 weeks and called Think Safety and would be out every month and warned people of rouge traders and road safety ect. The cost would be 195 for the year for a small ad and all the money was going to a charity called helping kids with cancer. He gave me a charity ref number and sounded very legit. I went to the fire brigade and the guy i spoke with made some calls took some info and said he had never heard of such a magazine or organization. The woman from the supposed charity called me after speaking with the original guy also and would not drop the fact i was not interested. im sure lots of u have had similar inccidents and are as cautious as i am but for a min i was nearly take in so thought i wouls spread the word. the fire dept are reporting them. :hurray:

hope your ll good.. Im pretty quite at the mo. Just been out flyering and card dropping, so if anyone needs a hand or any work please drop me a mess. thanks guys

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes it's a scam. It happens a lot.

If somebody calls you for a spot in a publication, you can almost guarantee it's a scam. Some people have struggled to get their money back too because they stick you in a contract.

BEWARE!

If you DO need to advertise in a magazine or newspaper, always get a copy first and seek advice from others, and always call them yourself (that would suggest you've seen the magazine first and know of it).

G

Gazzer

Its a fairly common scam, Fire Brigade , NHS and others get used. They tried it with me a while ago but they gave the address of the NHS as one that hadnt been used for a number of years. Dont ever call numbers or emails they supply you with as these will be fake too.

O

On one

Or ''as you advertised with us last year we are offering you a further discount'' when you know fine well that you didn't advertise with them last year.
Don't know how the scum sleep at night.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I actually get really annoyed with people that call me about advertising. Wether it be genuine or not. If i feel the need to advertise i'll find where, what and who i want to target and i'll source the right medium.

They always call from a mobile or witheld number whilst i'm up to my elbows in adhesive. I answer it thinking it might be a quote oppurtunity. Grrrr!!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Loads of posts about these firms on all the forums we've got. One cheeky sod even tried to get me remove a thread once with his name and address in it saying he's getting hassled!!! haha - Oh, like the way you're hassling people? Pr1ck.

Reply to Think Safety Magazine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen