Discuss 'The bigger picture' in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

Pebbs

Ok here goes....

We all know times are hard for many of us out there, and it is my own personal belief that a lot of clients will turn this to their own advantage. All I seem to be hearing lately is... Lynn you got to look at the bigger picture....well I'll tell you this much, there isent a bigger picture 90% of the time, so dont even bother looking for it.

A typical example was this....4 months ago, one of my scumbag clients who will remain nameless was tendering for a hotel re-furb job in Amsterdam. They asked me to do all the costings for the stone and marble work, and then put a presentation together for them to show their client the standard of workmanship and the fixing methods as it was big panels of stone. On the back of this they said I would get the mock up room and the contract if they got the contract. Fair enough I thought and set the Pebble power machine in motion. Gave them a top class presentation, samples of the stone with the fixings etc etc. Briefed them before they flew out for their meeting, so they went to hash heaven armed with all the answers.

On the Friday, they rang me to give them a 'labour only' quote for doing the mock up. So thats what I did, the lads were going to be put up in the hotel free of charge, so that was less hassle for me to sort out. I did a cheapo rate, put something in for the lads dinners (missed out their brothel and smoking hash allowances) and everything should have been good yes? No!

The following Monday, the client rang me and asked if I could do it for free...I spat my tea out when I heard....it turns out the scum bag client had also gone to my old company for a quote and they had said they would do it for nowt! Then the client came out with the old...but Lynn you got to think about the bigger picture...we get the contract you get the contract. I said ummm do you think my lads will work for free as well? I fear not somehow after all the work I did for you for that presentation free of charge and youve just gone and kicked me in the face. The conversation didnt end well, and another builders bucket was kicked across the yard. So what happened...yes my old company got the mock up room.

Well imagine my delight today, when I heard the scumbag contractor never got the contract. I am a great believer in what goes around comes around and stuff the bigger picture.

Lynn

C

Colour Republic

Thank God other people are standing their ground and not rolling over, nice one Lynn

I feel i'm being taken for a ride at the moment with one potential contract, that's why i'm giving them limited info as I think they are just getting me to do their leg work

W

White Room

I'll just stick to my little wee own.........

Getting to old for high stress levels

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Firstly, thank god you can still work the forum. I love your posts they're always lengthy and interesting. :)

As for the situation, I think you have to learn to take it on the chin and move on. His loss IMO. He'll be working for your old firm and you'll know the ins and outs of where their relationship will be heading if they do stick together and the contractor doesn't come back to you. That's an advantage IMO.

M

mikethetile

im with mark

too muich hassle, my own little firm of me, myself, i will do me

U

user123

In a strange way that post is almost reassuring, Lynn, as that sort of thing has happened to me over the years in all my varied careers in different but still similar scenarios, and each time you are left feeling like an idiot, until things come round again... those are the joys of being the boss... ....sigh..., even happens in the mosaic world... where somehow I really didn't expect it. Patience to wait for the balancing event is the hardest...

U

user123

I'll just stick to my little wee own.........

Getting to old for high stress levels

im with mark

too muich hassle, my own little firm of me, myself, i will do me

I have never employed anyone, but don't tell me you don't get messed about at times? Or do you really manage NOT to run around and do all sorts for people in the expectation that a job/commission/whatever will result from your honest preparations, and then, as Pebbs put it, kick you in the teeth?

W

White Room

I have many years ago, I suffered the realms of idiots but now to old in the tooth to have my experiance insulted...............

Also in a position where I can tell them whats what and go home and find somethink better to do.

M

mikethetile

G

not to the same extent as lynne, I only go round and discuss the job when im pricing and the rest i do if I win the job. ive sacked a couple of customers this year for messing me about. I havent got the time for it.

if their a pain to start with it doesnt get any better and I dont want their follow on work

U

user123

Hmmm, I hope I will be in that position one day... for now, to be honest, it is not just the financial aspect that is a downer when things don't happen as planned. I am really enthusiastic about what I can do, about the creative potential in potential commissions, when I get asked to produce a sample board for example I do it with joy and gusto, yes I have learned to charge a small but reasonable fee for it, but I have not yet learned to leave it there, I think and plan and imagine the designs once the possibility is in my mind, I tend to throw myself into everything I do with enthusiasm, and then it really is a let down when it doesn't happen for whatever reason.... by contrast a happy customer is a joy I can feed of for a long time... :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

I'd never doubt your enthusiasism MG, it's the customers that have be dealt with that can cause to give up a trade that you enjoy

D

doug boardley

Another old chestnut is "Give me a low rate for this job, and I'll have more in the pipeline for you".....That "pipeline work" never materialises tho'!!

S

SandyFloor

'The bigger picture' and 'at the end of the day' are two of these cliches/expressions used in meetings that are beginning to annoy me and I reckon they should be treated like a swear box whenever used. I just thought I'd run that up the flagpole and see if anyone saluted.

Reply to 'The bigger picture' in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks