Search the forum,

Discuss Tanking vs moisture resistant grouting in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
We are redoing our bathroom and had a long discussion on tanking with our handyman who does minor plumbing and tiling.

We have asked him to tank around the bath and shower areas.

He has been saying that if grouting is properly applied then there is no need for tanking as grouting is moisture resistant. He said that in olden days no one was using tanking in bathrooms and people never had issues.

Why tanking was introduced when it wasn’t there in olden days?

Thanks

Tile Marble Granite

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Romans used to waterproof their baths 2000 years ago. It's a fact!

Attachments

• Dampness Black Mold l.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 19

Tiberiu

TF
Reaction score
Countless times I've come across bathrooms wrecked by water ingress behind the tiles through the cracked grout or failed silicone. For your peace of mind waterproof the wet areas or if you're boarding up new use tile backer boards which are totally waterproof

Reply to Tanking vs moisture resistant grouting in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen