Search the forum,

Discuss Suspended timber floor preparation. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi
I have a small cloakroom/bathroom 1.2m X 1.5m it's a suspended timber ground floor with the joists on sleeper walls. I want to tile in 600 X 600 11mm thick polished porcelain.

What is best way to prepare the floor?

I am taking the existing chipboard out. There is no underfloor heating. I need the overall height to be about 32mm.

Thanks

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi,

Such a small area, l would use 18mm exterior grade ply over joists, key surface with course sandpaper prime, 6mm hardibacker board on bed of flexiable cement based adhesive and screw. When you add tile and adhesive you will have a depth of approximately 38mm. Or if you leave out the hardibacker board you get approximately 30mm.

Hope this helps.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I generally use an SBR primer for most surfaces. For plywood I would dilute 1:3 with water.

In the way of preparation a good key with course sandpaper , vacuum dust, and clean down with damp sponge.

Reply to Suspended timber floor preparation. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen