Search the forum,

Discuss Substrates, porcelain,prep in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

V

Versatile

Just looked at a job where they are extending the kitchen to incorporate a garden room
Existing kitchen floor is concrete
New build to be anhydrite
What are the options for prep
I understand the prep for the new screed drying time ect
But would it be wise to de couple
Or could I just put a movement joint where they meet
Tiles are porcelain
Thanks

S

Stef

You must put an expansion join where the two meet.
On the gypsum side i wouldn't decouple with porcelain.

V

Versatile

Yea new screed had water ufh
I'm doing the kitchen first because of new kitchen being booked in
Then new when dried commissioned ect
Cheers

J

J Sid

Ditra or similar on new screed once dry and ufh commissioned. Plus expansion / movement joint between the two

A

AndY mac

Hi steff. Why would you not decouple gypsum for porcelain. Had a job recently where the builders joined the floors but was not a straight join up down left to right. Decoupled then laid 600x600 porcelain. No other solution.

S

Stef

Hi steff. Why would you not decouple gypsum for porcelain. Had a job recently where the builders joined the floors but was not a straight join up down left to right. Decoupled then laid 600x600 porcelain. No other solution.
You've not got the same shrinkage as you have with a cement screed, I would still break it across doors as these are natural areas where a screed will crack.
For belt & braces then you should use a decoupler but as porcelain tiles are quite robust I wouldn't use it.
You say the builder joined the floors, in that circumstance your trying to use a decoupler for what it isn't really designed for. It really should have an expansion between floors.

Reply to Substrates, porcelain,prep in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen