Search the forum,

Discuss Struggling to cut porcelain tiles with Sigma 3D2 in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stanman

Hi all,

I've tried cutting my first porcelain floor tile with the sigma cutter - it failed miserably. I've got a bucket full of curved cuts from a single 600x600 porcelanosa VENIS tile. Maybe 2 cuts oout of the 10 I tried worked.

Before I go and hire a bridge saw for the weekend, have any of you sigma users got any advice or tips? I've tried light scoring, heavy scoring, double scoring etc.

In contrast, it cuts ceramic with ease. I could even ease the crack up the tiles. In contrast the porcelain tile has no give at all....

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Straight away we have to rule out it's the Sigma's fault!

Seriously, it is 95% down to the tile being so dense that it is virtually impossible to cut dry. It sound like you have tried all the different ways (hard, soft breaking, hard, soft scoring). The last time this happened to me I complained to the tile shop. They said 'Ahh yes, full bodied porcelain tiles.........you have to cut them on a wet cutter' Luckily for me the problem tiles were confined to a couple of boxes of tiles.

I even tried making sure I cut the tiles by making sure I only cut in the direction of the arrows or markings on the back, but that did not help!

Reply to Struggling to cut porcelain tiles with Sigma 3D2 in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen