Search the forum,

Discuss Struggling to cut porcelain tiles with Sigma 3D2 in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stanman

Hi all,

I've tried cutting my first porcelain floor tile with the sigma cutter - it failed miserably. I've got a bucket full of curved cuts from a single 600x600 porcelanosa VENIS tile. Maybe 2 cuts oout of the 10 I tried worked.

Before I go and hire a bridge saw for the weekend, have any of you sigma users got any advice or tips? I've tried light scoring, heavy scoring, double scoring etc.

In contrast, it cuts ceramic with ease. I could even ease the crack up the tiles. In contrast the porcelain tile has no give at all....

W

White Room

Thats the pull one then?...if it is I can't get on with that handle and find that there's not enough pressure being applied.

W

WetSaw

Someone has to do it....... Should have bought a Rubi!!

Sorry I've nothing useful to add, never used a Sigma.

L

lizzardtong

It could be down to tile you're cutting. Did you try it on other porcelain tile?
Seen tread here couple months ago and it was down to strees in tiles.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Straight away we have to rule out it's the Sigma's fault!

Seriously, it is 95% down to the tile being so dense that it is virtually impossible to cut dry. It sound like you have tried all the different ways (hard, soft breaking, hard, soft scoring). The last time this happened to me I complained to the tile shop. They said 'Ahh yes, full bodied porcelain tiles.........you have to cut them on a wet cutter' Luckily for me the problem tiles were confined to a couple of boxes of tiles.

I even tried making sure I cut the tiles by making sure I only cut in the direction of the arrows or markings on the back, but that did not help!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Bad workman blames his tools. .....unless its a rubi then its fully justified. ...:lol:

Sorry couldn't resist it..

R

Rookery

I think it might be down to your technique rather than the machine. Once you've scored the tile, give the handle a short, sharp thwack, see if that makes a difference. And if that don't work, buy a Rubi :lol:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have come across some tiles even the mighty sigma won't cut....made by the devil himself if you ask me....no choice but to wet cut..

Reply to Struggling to cut porcelain tiles with Sigma 3D2 in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen