Search the forum,

Discuss Strongcoat DPM - used to speed up tiling?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

turnip

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Here's a right fishy tale, story goes like this: fasttrack project, extension to building, no ditra required so height not allowed for in new screed, the tiling is due to carry on from existing.
The "7-day" fibre reinforced sand cement screed, was poured without any "7day additive" in it so we are looking at 30-ish days before we will touch it, cant use ditra cos the height hasnt been allowed for in the new screed. Screeder says how about Strongcoat DPM? its an epoxy primer which will not let the moisture out the top of the screed, therefore you can tile straight on once its dry!
If Ajax the screeding fella is about, let us know what you think, personally it all sounds a bit ripe?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Actually he is probably talking sense. I am not familiar with this specific DPM but most of the systems I know of can be used pretty much as soon as you can walk on the screed. Some say minimum 48 hours. Trouble is that does not allow the screed time to move and settle so I think there would still be potential problems with the tiles. When they say DPM what they actually mean is moisture suppressant which essentially means that they will still allow the moisture out just very slowly. These DPM's are used pretty routinely in the vynils business but they must then be overlaid with a levelling compound to allow the glues something to stick to. I would think if it is a 2 coat system you would need to look at broadcasting sand into the second coat to make sure that you get a rough texture so that the adhesive has something to grab onto.

turnip

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks chap, think it might be cheaper and less labour intensive to go with Green Screed Adhesive, we'll see what they says...

Reply to Strongcoat DPM - used to speed up tiling?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen