Discuss Straighter cuts on Rubi in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Chris N

TF
Reaction score
Hi all

I've noticed that when cutting large format porcelain on my Rubi TS70 plus that I sometimes get a less than perfectly straight cut. Its almost perfectly straight, but I've been getting a very slight bow which is noticeable (to me) when the cut edges are against trim etc. I usually give cut edges a going over with a 60 grit diamond block to smooth them.

Is it me, or is the cutter on its limits for this kind of tile, or something else perhaps?

Chris N

TF
Reaction score
Cutter. Sometimes my Sigma 1200 does it. I think it depends how much pressure you use

Thanks Simon.

Yes was thinking along similar lines. Its only a pressed steel bed on the Rubi, so may deflect a tad. I've got the latest snapper in it and it generally cuts well...but I did have a go on a Monty which I liked and also a Sigma. Probably better suited to big porcelain, but can't quite justify one yet :)

G

GoneGuy

I had a similar issue on my monty, I changed the scoring wheel and it’s bang on now.

Try changing the scoring wheel and see how it goes

Chris N

TF
Reaction score
I had a similar issue on my monty, I changed the scoring wheel and it’s bang on now.

Try changing the scoring wheel and see how it goes

Good idea Adey, thank you. Yes, certainly can't hurt. The cut only deflects about about a mm/half a mm at most, just annoys me in my quest for perfection :)

T

Timeless Tiling

Is there a right and wrong way to butt tiles to eachother so you butt the wall tiles to the floor tile or the floor to the wall tiles

Chris N

TF
Reaction score
Is there a right and wrong way to butt tiles to eachother so you butt the wall tiles to the floor tile or the floor to the wall tiles

Do you mean tile walls first, then floor, or the other way round?

There are more experienced tilers on here than I, but if I'm tiling walks and floor, which isn't often, I'll tile walls, leaving the bottom row, then tile floor, then chop in the bottom row of wall tiles. Somebody will prob tell me thats wrong, but I'm all ears :D

T

Timeless Tiling

I had watched a few videos online and have seen people do it both ways so was just wondering is there any reason you leave bottom row then do floor then finish bottom row ofor wall tiles

Chris N

TF
Reaction score
I had watched a few videos online and have seen people do it both ways so was just wondering is there any reason you leave bottom row then do floor then finish bottom row ofor wall tiles

Well regardless if I'm tiling floor or not, I'll set up my battens and tile off them, then remove and tile down to the floor.

One of the reasons, I mentioned my method, is that at some point, you have to make accurate cuts at the wall/floor junction. IMO, its easier to lay floor tiles before bottom row as I think its easier/neater to cut wall tiles to floor than the other way around. Open to suggestion though...

D

Dumbo

Used to do as above for same reasons but as I'm tiling a lot of bathrooms with same tiles on walls and floor I find it easier to tile floor first then tile off of the floor to ensure grout joints line up .

Albert

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks Simon.

Yes was thinking along similar lines. Its only a pressed steel bed on the Rubi, so may deflect a tad. I've got the latest snapper in it and it generally cuts well...but I did have a go on a Monty which I liked and also a Sigma. Probably better suited to big porcelain, but can't quite justify one yet :)
No deflection on this one
IMG_3153.JPG

Reply to Straighter cuts on Rubi in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks