Search the forum,

Discuss Standard Wetroom Former Tile Cuts? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish_crofter

Can anyone please point me in the direction of a standard set of templates to cut tiles to for laying on formers?

If such a thing does not exist, maybe we should create one.

Rather than having to reinvent the wheel every time, it may be a good idea to build up a library of standard templates for given tile sizes etc for given former sizes.

Certain assumptions would need to be taken on board (such as setting out etc)

I'm using 300 x 300 on this job.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

peckers

There would be too many variables for templates for envelope cuts as there are soo many different size tiles and also it would depend on how it was set out.
I just high light the line(crease area) in the tray where your tiles need to be envelope cut, from the drain to the out side edges of the tray then dry lay the tiles on the tray and where you can see the line that you have high lighted by the drain and to the edge of the tray use a strait edge line it up and mark on the tiles. this is where your cuts need to be and marking them in one go means your envelope cuts will be nice and strait and not wavey.
hope this makes sense.:thumbsup:

Or if you have a lazer level then you can use this to run your line up the tray then dry lay tiles and then mark on the tiles where the lazer line is....

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cornish_crofter

That's pretty much what I did last time.

I actually drew the lines on the former before I cut it so I could go to the corners, as it is not easy to see where the actual creases are. I didn't do it this time and I've cut one corner off and fitted it:oops:

I'll have to mark out the other 3 and go from there.

I've got one of those laser levels that you put in the middle of the room and it rotates to give you a line around the room. I can't see how that could be used to give you a line, unless you just mounted one of those laser line markers in place and used that

P

peckers

I've got one of those laser levels that you put in the middle of the room and it rotates to give you a line around the room. I can't see how that could be used to give you a line, unless you just mounted one of those laser line markers in place and used that

Could you put it on its side and let it generate a line on the floor of the former??

Q

Qwerty

There would be too many variables for templates for envelope cuts as there are soo many different size tiles and also it would depend on how it was set out.
I just high light the line(crease area) in the tray where your tiles need to be envelope cut, from the drain to the out side edges of the tray then dry lay the tiles on the tray and where you can see the line that you have high lighted by the drain and to the edge of the tray use a strait edge line it up and mark on the tiles. this is where your cuts need to be and marking them in one go means your envelope cuts will be nice and strait and not wavey.
hope this makes sense.:thumbsup:

Or if you have a lazer level then you can use this to run your line up the tray then dry lay tiles and then mark on the tiles where the lazer line is....

When doing this, and cutting with a dry manual tile cutter, how do you get around making the envelope cut into a regular 2mm (for example) grout line???..... or do you use a wet cutter to make an equivelant 2mm cut?

Ta - Geoff

D

doug boardley

When doing this, and cutting with a dry manual tile cutter, how do you get around making the envelope cut into a regular 2mm (for example) grout line???..... or do you use a wet cutter to make an equivelant 2mm cut?

Ta - Geoff
I think you answered your own question there Geoff:thumbsup:

Reply to Standard Wetroom Former Tile Cuts? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen