Search the forum,

Discuss Split Face Stone Feature Wall. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rj1884

Good evening. Just a quick one. I've fixed split face stone mosaic tiles as a feature wall (not in a wet area). They are the ones that inter lock into each other. The customer has said she now wants them grout. I explained what a nightmare that would be but she is adamant that she would like them tile. The mosaics are travertine and I've sealed them just the once. Would you now attempt to grout them or add a second coat of sealer before hand to help get the excess grout of or would sealing a second time cause problems with the grout holding in the joints.
Thanks in advance.

R

rj1884

image.jpg image.jpg
Hello. Thanks for your quick reply. He's what's been done and used. Hopefully it gives you an idea.

T

Time's Ran Out

I would go with the customer on this one!
As I can see the joins and straight lines in various areas I'd at least try to blend a grout line into the wider 'gap' areas!
I wouldn't advocate grouting the whole lot but I certainly wouldn't leave it so obvious that they are sheets or pieces.
Test an area of similar colour grout to the background on an unobtrusive area and see how easy it comes off before sealing again.

T

Time's Ran Out

I would go with the customer on this one!
As you've used wedges I can see the joins and straight lines in various areas I'd at least try to blend a grout line into the wider 'gap' areas!
I wouldn't advocate grouting the whole lot but I certainly wouldn't leave it so obvious that they are sheets or pieces.
Test an area of similar colour grout to the background on an unobtrusive area and see how easy it comes off before sealing again.

As I feel so strong about this I've posted it twice :thumbsdown:
Or now 3 times - I give up!

S

Spare Tool

Sorry to hijack the thread but same tiles so saves starting a new one.
I've just been to see a chimney breast, all three sides customer wants tiling with these...
So what's the best way of going about finishing the 90degree external angle, do you lock them together, mitre, or just over lap the sides/front and wet cut straight?

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

Im doing well , how are you ?

That wall is really nice
Haha thanks. It's one less wall to paint ;)
Got fed up with seeing living spaces being tiled in magazines but still haven't done a decent one myself. For something that's always being described as "cold" it's really warmed the room up! Haha
.....and yeah I'm good thanks.
Have u managed to put the course to good use at all?

O

Old Mod

Well they're not the second largest seller of tiles in the country for nothing.
Don't know if that's a good or bad price though - I'm so out of touch. I've paid that for wallpaper to cover the same area before now. I say me, I mean the Mrs at the time, using my card.
Hahaha oh dear, I feel for u tho!
Well it seemed like value to me at the time so I had no complaints :)
well my wife had stripped the paint in one alcove ready for tiling and then announced that she'd changed her mind and was adamant she didn't want it tiling :mad:
So I did what all sensible partners do in a time of crisis, ignored her and promised if she didn't like it I'd take it down! Hahaha :rolleyes: more chance of finding a winning lottery ticket in the street I reckon, so anyway carried on and three courses in, on the left alcove, I got the royal seal of approval! .....and all was calm again! o_O

Reply to Split Face Stone Feature Wall. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays