Search the forum,

Discuss Shower tray - recommendations, and advice on fitting in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

Oddbod

Showerlux versus 'JT40?
I've recently had three Showerlux LPS (stone resin) 900mm quadrant trays delivered in succession as replacements, due to faulty mouldings and poor workmanship. My supplier is as his wits end but is graciously doing everything to help; he's now advising we forget Showerlux altogether and go for a 'JT40' equivalent.

At the end of the day, I'm after the best quality and am both amazed and disgusted that Showerlux are turning out such rubbish at the moment (actually I think somebody else makes their trays under licence these days). Does anybody know whether the 'JT40' is any good, or have any recommendations from experience on an alternative top quality tray that would fit my Showerlux 900mm quadrant enclosure? (The Showerlux enclosure is okay bar a couple of badly moulded seals which have been successfully replaced.)

Securing the tray
My other question is, having assembled the riser kit on my first Showerlux tray (before I spotted the faults) and got it located and levelled in the corner of the bathroom ready for tiling, I wondered whether I should secure it in place somehow, or just rely on its weight plus the silicone between the tray/tiles and tray/enclosure to hold it in place (the latter was the supplier's advice). I'm aiming to use a flexible upstand glued around the outer edge of the tray, so there's no solid point of contact between the tray edge and the wall to secure with gripfix or silicone.

Can anyone advise on how to secure this please, or whether it's just okay to stand it in place and rely on it's weight?

Many thanks.

P

Plumbing Tiler

Hi, sorry to hear about your problem, there is nothing more frustrating than faulty goods is there!?!, with regards to the tray, my bathroom supplier was recently telling me he had a similar problems with some 900mm quads being bowed in the middle, sometimes out by up to 20mm!, seemingly caused by being taken out of their mould too early before being fully cured off, cannot for the life of me remember what make they were though sorry!, it sounds to me like you have been getting the same trays from a dodgy batch maybe?, so onto the JT40, is that a Just Trays model?, if so I have used them before with no problem, I also use MX or Mira Flight, but not sure about compatibility with your enclosure though?, onto the sealing now, you would do well to run a nice bead of silicone sealant around the edge of your tray/upstand (whichever will be in contact with the wall) before you position the tray against the wall, for several reasons, firstly it will help with watertightness should your seal fail on the tray to tile joint and secondly it stops that annoying squeaking sound you can sometimes get when the tray moves against the wall when you put your weight on it, and thirdly the silicone will hold the tray in position so it doesn't move when you are standing in in when tiling etc, I am assuming that the legs in the riser kit do not have holes in the feet that you can put screws through into the floor then?, if not if they are plastic then you can sometimes drill holes in them for this purpose, worth a look as this is the best way to get it secure mate, good luck, fingers crossed that the next tray is ok!

B

BARRONBATHROOMS

Have fitted plenty of jt40 trays and they are really good quality. They also do a fusion model which is a lot lighter but just as strong! Have been using pearlstone trays lately and I'm impressed lot cheaper than jt40s! I always install to floor so don't know much about the riser options. Try searching Internet for them. I have stopped using my local merchants for bathroom equipment as they cannot compete on price, shame really as its a great shop. But most people will search Internet now before they buy.

O

Oddbod

Hi there, and thanks so much everybody for your useful input.

Yes, I believe the JT40 is a Just Trays model. Thanks for the encouragement on this. I haven't seen one of these so don't know what to expect, but the supplier confirms it will fit the Showerlux enclosure which is assembled and ready to mount, so hopefully this will be a solution. I'll take your advice about using silicone around the sides of the tray - that was a gut feeling of mine, but I just wanted to be sure I was on the right lines. Haven't seen the legs on the riser kit coming with the JT40 tray yet, so I don't know whether these can be screwed, but if they can I'll do that too.

Thanks Ali too for the pointer on Mira trays - I'll check these out as well.

Regards to all and many thanks again.

Reply to Shower tray - recommendations, and advice on fitting in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen