Search the forum,

Discuss Shower tray - large gap behind tiles, leaking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

oxymore

photo 3.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 1.jpg

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone could advise on the above? We've had a leaking shower tray onto the ceiling below for years, just keep patching it up and putting a box underneath to collect the leaking. Now, after removing the tiles at the bottom of the shower tray, looks like there is a large gap behind the tiles at the back! Not sure how to make it even and seal the gap before re-tile to stop the leaking. Any ideas?

Thanks!

M

Mike

the only way you can sort that out properly is to board out the wall so it's flush with the tray. you can screw battens on the wall to make up the gap and then screw cement boards to the battens then re-tile. to overtile the gap will just risk another leak i.m.o.

D

DHTiling

The way that is designed it will leak all day long..

I would think about a rip out and get it done properly.

W

White Room

The grouting looks like it's seen better days, as above, rip out and start again.

O

oxymore

Thanks for all your advice. So basically what the first post what mike said? I'd have to rip it all out, get new tiles and put some batten and concrete boards behind to make it meet the tray? I suppose there's no way of moving or changing the tray really is there? How much would you guys expect to charge for this kind of job? I can tell it's not gonna be cheap! Many thanks

O

oxymore

But if the tiles are already serving as a wall there could you not put the battens and concrete on top of it or something like mike the first poster said to narrow the gap? Or are you saying should take the 3 walls down and rebuild? Thanks

Reply to Shower tray - large gap behind tiles, leaking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen