Search the forum,

Discuss Should the uk tiling trade be licenced...? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

inspiredandy

I say yes as long as the government aint got nothing to do with it. Pump any money back into the industry for training etc!!

R

R Montgomery

Yes. I was a licensed contractor in California before returning to the U.K. and even though at times it seems like just another way for the state and individual cities to get their share of your work it does have benefits for both you and your client.Mainly legal protection for you to guarantee payment and legal protection for the client to protect against low quality work.The exam was a bit of a joke in the way it does not show if you can do the work.I suppose they leave that up to the established contractors who have to sign off on your application.

T

tile55

In my opinion regulation is not all good. As said before Corgi regulates gas and plumbers. In theory, this is great, as dealing with water and gas is dangerous and expensive to put right. However the most cowboys out there are proberly plumbers, followed by builders.

In an ideal world the whole of the construction industry needs to be regulated by an independent regulator, but this is far from an ideal world.
The government is trying to regulate through the back door, think of Cscs cards, Cis cards and this new door stop selling rubbish. All these schemes require honest tradespeople having to fork out large amounts of cash to pass tests year on year with no financial benifits to themselves.
The sparkies have to jump through hoops to be certified and Part P etc. but most people dont want to pay the figures that they are quoted and get someone cheaper and most likely not regulated.

The customer dictates the market, whatever they are willing to pay to get the job done, whether regulated or not, it does'nt matter to the majority of the market.

Eample. How many of you guys have been asked to see identification when veiwing a job. Do people ask if you are regulated, what happens when things gp wrong. I thought about joining the TTA but when I weighed up the pros and cons I decided against it.
There simply wasn't enough benifits for my company to consider it worthwhile.

beanz

TF
Reaction score
You've missed an option Dave... How about It should, but not til i've gained a bit more experience... At least enough to gain said licence hehe! :p

oh what the hell, i'll click on yes, because i do believe it should be licenced.

D

DHTiling

In my opinion regulation is not all good. As said before Corgi regulates gas and plumbers. In theory, this is great, as dealing with water and gas is dangerous and expensive to put right. However the most cowboys out there are proberly plumbers, followed by builders.

Corgi don't regulate gas work from april the 1st 2009.....it will be captiva...gas saftey register who do gas from then on.....corgi have lost the tender to do it..

Oh! and i don't think it was fair to call plumbers cowboys....every trade has them.....

G

Gracer

We have it here in Oz....I think it's fantastic, makes things a lot harder for the cowboys. Sure it's an extra cost each year(tax deductable of course) but if it keeps some cowboy from doing a dodgy job at ridiculously low prices it's worth it.
Can't believe the UK doesn't. Do you even have tiling apprenticeships over there?

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Interesting. When i left school in 88 i was told that apprenticeships no longer existed, at least in the old sense of the word. Just when on site as a Roofer's labourer.

Reply to Should the uk tiling trade be licenced...? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen