Search the forum,

Discuss Shangri-la Sues Contractor For £57m Over Delays To Shard Hotel Opening in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like it might be a bit of a blag and they just wanted to get out of paying some of the bill maybe?

O

Old Mod

I heard about this a few weeks ago, of course it's only hearsay, but the way I was told it was more about incorrect adhesive being spec'd!
Maybe what prompted Daves thread?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I heard about this a few weeks ago, of course it's only hearsay, but the way I was told it was more about incorrect adhesive being spec'd!
Maybe what prompted Daves thread?

No mine was pure memory from a TTA booklet I got about said tiles and I clocked them straight away.

But I didn't have said booklet with me , so did a few tech calls and then got TTA to email me said PDF of the page from the Tiling to heated screeds handbook .

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

Absolutely no argument from me Dave!
It was only as the thread progressed last night with Jonny I even thought of the two subjects being linked, and of course they're not!
The way the story was told to me that the manufacturer spec'd the adhesive and it turned out to be incorrect. When Jonny said that it was the responsibility of the manufacturer to spec the adhesive it just reminded me of what I had been told.
Of course it could be complete and utter nonsense, as I said it was only hearsay.
Have u come across tiles with a resin backing that has to be removed prior to fixing Dave?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Absolutely no argument from me Dave!
It was only as the thread progressed last night with Jonny I even thought of the two subjects being linked, and of course they're not!
The way the story was told to me that the manufacturer spec'd the adhesive and it turned out to be incorrect. When Jonny said that it was the responsibility of the manufacturer to spec the adhesive it just reminded me of what I had been told.
Of course it could be complete and utter nonsense, as I said it was only hearsay.
Have u come across tiles with a resin backing that has to be removed prior to fixing Dave?

IMHO it's only used on the thinner stone tiles for strength and removing it is defeating the object , the issue is though , is how well bonded is the backing , after all that's what the addy is bonding too lol.

I'd rather 100% walk than risk it.

O

Old Mod

IMHO it's only used on the thinner stone tiles for strength and removing it is defeating the object , the issue is though , is how well bonded is the backing , after all that's what the addy is bonding too lol.

I'd rather 100% walk than risk it.

I get your thread completely Dave and it makes total sense!
This is exactly the point I made to a sparky once when he completely covered an ufh cable in GAFFER TAPE! I pointed out that the tiles would only be stuck to the tape and he was relying on the gaffer tape to hold down the tiles over the ufh! So yeah I get the thread totally.
I was just curious to know, in your experiance, have u ever known a tile that has the said backing and that it has to be removed prior to fixing?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I get your thread completely Dave and it makes total sense!
This is exactly the point I made to a sparky once when he completely covered an ufh cable in GAFFER TAPE! I pointed out that the tiles would only be stuck to the tape and he was relying on the gaffer tape to hold down the tiles over the ufh! So yeah I get the thread totally.
I was just curious to know, in your experiance, have u ever known a tile that has the said backing and that it has to be removed prior to fixing?

I haven't seen any instructions saying to remove backing ...:)

Reply to Shangri-la Sues Contractor For £57m Over Delays To Shard Hotel Opening in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen