Search the forum,

Discuss Setting out wall-bottom tile should be minimum size of...? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

essexsi

Hi all.

Hope someone can help.

I am fixing 600x300 tile in landscape way on a shower wall.

When setting out I have read that the bottom wall tile should never be a whole one, so that you can compensate for the floor being out. Is this correct?

So, how high do you guys set your datum line above the floor to give you the wiggle room when fixing and cutting the bottom tile.

For eg is it 3/4 of a whole tile, so for me it would be about 225 above the floor?!?

Cheers for any help. Si

T

Time's Ran Out

essexsi - I've been rained off so you've got my undivided attention for 2mins!
When I set a room out I don't want to see less than a half tile to floor or ceiling.
In an ideal setting it would be full tiles everywhere!
What you have to take into consideration with horizontal setting out is height of shower tray/bath/window cills/window head and ceiling and also the position of any border - if any.
If you start say 225mm off the floor and the shower tray is 150mm high then you only have a 75mm cut to the shower tray - not ideal in such an important area!
My view is you go for the biggest cut possible - ie full tile from the lowest point of the floor - but only if it is aesthetically right for the other positions.:thumbsup:

Timeless John.

E

essexsi

Cheers for your 2 mins timeless!

There is no shower tray in place as the floor is concrete screed. So as rough rule of thumb is it fair to say never less than half a tile top and bottom. But bigger is better!

cheers mate. Si

Reply to Setting out wall-bottom tile should be minimum size of...? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen