Search the forum,

Discuss Self levelling over UFH mats - how to get it flat? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

cirlam

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm tiling my 12m^2 conservatory - Concrete base, Self levelled, 20mm Jackoboards, Prowarm mat, self levelling compound, then 600mm square porcelain tiles.
So far I have self levelled the base, and stuck the jackoboards down - all really nice and flat so far.

Now I need to fit the UFH mat, and self level over the top - how do you ensure you get a good finish (flat/level) over a relatively large area?

Everywhere I've researched just shows people trowelling the SLC over the mats. When I've tried to use self levelling compound this way before (just trowelling it freehand), I have had really poor results - recently I've been resorting to setting out wooden battens (levelled on the heads of screws ~25cm apart) to form bays, and pulling a straight edge across it.
This gives me great results, but is time consuming and I don't really want to put loads of screws into my insulation boards If I can avoid it.

cirlam

-
Reaction score
Thanks - do you screw straight into the insulation boards then?

Was considering using strips of a 6mm jackoboard between the UFH runs to create rails that I can pull a straight edge across. Although maybe a bit overkill..

cirlam

-
Reaction score
Thanks - I ended up using strips of electrical conduit covers (about 5mm high) to form bays. Worked a treat, and easy to pull the plastic conduit up out of the self leveller when dry

Reply to Self levelling over UFH mats - how to get it flat? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen