Search the forum,

Discuss Self levelling compound requires pva primer. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rhinoman

I bought some non latex based SLC from B&Q and it says on the packet to use pva as a primer before applying the SLC.

I'm a bit concerned that I'm only applying SLC to patches and there will be overspill of pva on other areas wher ther will be tiling and I've read here that tiling and pva don't mix. Any tips before I start?

Also, how soon after the screed has been laid can SLC be applyed, I'm trying to get the floor ready for someone else to tile it for me in a month or so's time?

F

Fred

I NEVER use PVA, but again, I NEVER get gear from there. Basically mate, PVA just sits on the surface like a piece of skin, it doesn't penetrate like the sealers you can get for such makers like BAL, ARDEX etc............

R

rhinoman

Why would you need to put slc on a new screed mate

The screed is not perfect and I'm using large format tiles, unfortunatly I was away whilst it was done and Screedflo was out of budget for this job.

I NEVER use PVA, but again, I NEVER get gear from there. Basically mate, PVA just sits on the surface like a piece of skin, it doesn't penetrate like the sealers you can get for such makers like BAL, ARDEX etc............

So even though the pack says pva just use another sealer?

W

White Room

Try and do my own screeding when floor tiling rather than someone elses hill climb

S

sWe

Leveling compounds almost always contain a portion of hydraulic cement, such as Portland cement, and here's why it's not a good idea to use PVA with such products. Latex leveling compounds are probably less sensitive to PVA than mainly cement based compounds, as they often contain less cement, and forms of vinyl ester, but I still wouldn't use PVA.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

I agree with marcus....And seen as tilers carry primers anyway why risk using pva....

Plus also be very careful with that b&q leveller they don't go much over 3mm or so in depth without cracking...

Thats why they are cheap....:)

G

GazTech

Why not forget the levelling and use Pourable thick bed adhesive, perfect for large format tiles & can go up to an inch thick....Gaz
BAL PTB (Pourable Thick Bed) Flexible
ptb_flexible.jpg

A highly polymer modified, flexible, rapid-setting, water-resistant, frost-resistant floor tile adhesive, especially suitable for fixing tiles, including fully vitrified and porcelain tiles to low porosity backgrounds and bases. Sulphate-resistant, cement-based, pourable, thick-bed solid-bed floor tile adhesive suitable for fixing ceramic tiles, quarries, natural stone and terrazzo in interior and exterior situations. Its consistency makes it particularly suitable for fixing large tiles and those with profiled backs. Back-buttering is not necessary. Suitable for use on concrete, cement:sand screeds, ceramic/quarry tile/terrazzo/hard natural stone, plywood overlay, vinyl tiles/sheet, mastic asphalt. BS EN 12004 C2F Adhesive

D

DHTiling

And is very expensive compared to levellers gaz.....:)...but a very good product none the less.....

My recommendation for a good leveller is Ardex K15........great product and never cracks when used right......

Reply to Self levelling compound requires pva primer. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen