Search the forum,

Discuss Self leveling compound in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

paul.c

Ok New apartment and all the floors have self leveling compound on them. There is a thin layer in the corner and it has slight cracks. Apartment is ground floor and its a concrete building.

Question 1- What preparation do i need for tiling on this surface. Do I need to prime it with something or can I just lash the adhesive down and tile away?

Question 2- I have bathroom and on-suite. I want to tile the walls around the bath sinks and shower. What do I use to prime walls for adhesive? also do I need a tanking system. Ive heard about this and dont really no what it is or when its needed.

Question 3- The bathrooms dont have self leveling down obviously because its going to be tiled. Is there priming or any prep before adhesive?

Question 4- There are tiles above the sink and kitchen units, standard crap! When removed and cleaned up, what prep is needed?

Sorry if all my questions are stupid, as I have pointed out in other posts I can cut and lay but the prep work was always done before I got in so Im learning at the moment. Again Im not a tiler im a chippy that has tiled a good few times.

Sorry about mad long questions and cheers in advance:smilewinkgrin:

J

jay

no 1 what type of leveling compound was used and why has it cracked

no 2 whats the walls plasterboard or solid and what adh are you using waterproofing shower area is a good idea

no3 why dont you use slc if your going to use tiles

no 4 how much damage are you going to do when you remove the existing tile whats the substrate

P

paul.c

cheers, The apartment was just snagged last week and the keys are being handed over on Wednesday. TBH the builder put the compound down so I dont know what brand it was. Evo-stick SLC is the most common ive seen used and Id imagine thats what was used. I would say it has cracked because in that particular place it looked very thin.

The walls are plasterboard battoned to concrete, I was going to use ardex wall adhesive.(for wall tile)

Is it alright to lay floor tile straight down on slc or concrete screed using ardex floor adhesive. Any prep tips?

Also the tile on the wall in the bathroom will be removed as neatly as possible but if the wall is too damaged I will re-slab it.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jay

Check the slc to make sure its sound
not familiar with that adh check the spec sheet on it first
wouldn't hurt to prime first with an acrylic primer
also if the slc is in a wet area make sure the slc is suitable for external use if not a waterproof membrane is recommended

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi paul seen as you dont know what to do! why dont you let a pro tiler do the tiling work and you do your chippy work, best all round imo.:hammer: :thumbsup:

Reply to Self leveling compound in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen