Search the forum,

Discuss self level or thick adhesive? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cone

I have a floor that is uneven in places and want some advice on best approach to finish it. Its a bathroom and the tiles are 550x550mm and floor is uneven all over. The toilet is on external wall and both sides of the toilet to both walls is about 1m. It is a slope of near an inch into each corner. Where toilet sits is highest point of the floor and sits faceing the door which is 3m away and slopes down aswell. When I put the level on highest point(on screed) towards the door, its reading level but is sitting on a bed of old adhesive near door.

What I'm thinking of doing is leaving old adhesive in place(well down) and spreading new adhesive on top and working towards the highest point then for the 2 slopes, fill out with thick adhesive. I know I can use self leveler but don't I have to build this up seeing as it only sets at 3-4mm. There will be no foot traffic on the tiles where thick adhesive will be hench why I'm thinking of adhesive.

I know there needs a lot of work to go into the floor before tiling but the customer doesn't want this and asked what the best alternative is and this is what I've came up with.

Any other suggestions to get round this rather than grinding into floor or what I'm doing is the best of the bad lot?

So can anyone tell me what is the tickets bed of adhesive I can use before I start to encounter problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Time's Ran Out

Sounds like another case of the customer dictating how the job should be done - good luck!

T

Time's Ran Out

Forgot to say :welcome:.
The issue I have is your charging for work where you obviously have a lack of experience and confidence to do be able to provide a professional service.

D

Dougs Third Go

level it every time for me with levelling compound rather than varying thickness of adhesive.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I'd go with leveller myself. You can tile a flat floor in half the time. Ultra's Level it 1 will go to 50mm in one pour and sets pretty quick. Also, if you're set on using thick bed (pun intended) I'd advise you start from the high point and level the tiles from there rather than attempt it the other way.

Reply to self level or thick adhesive? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen