Search the forum,

Discuss Sealing Grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stan001

I have just ‘tested’ that HG. A few weeks back I posted that I’d laid a floor using beige coloured N&P grout. The only real problem with it is when it gets wet it goes dark (i.e. obviously absorbing water) then goes light back to its proper colour an hour or so later (i.e. it dries out). My worry was that this floor being a kitchen floor and new would also absorb oils etc (butter etc.) that would permanently stain.
So I also have been after a sealer for grout (which incidentally I will also use in a shower enclosure to keep that grout clean – belt and braces action that one).
I will be buying LTP Wall and Floor Grout Protector (got an email from them yesterday confirming it is a penetrating sealer). But at the weekend my better half went and got me exactly the HG grout protector refed on this thread, she got an opened but unused bottle from a car booty for 50p – deal. I applied it yesterday to a test area, this morning I put water over it, the area treated stays nice light beigh colour, the rest goes dark – so it works.
My research in the last couple of days tells me sealers come in two types, penetrating or not (the ones that don’t penetrate form a surface seal). I prefer the sound of the penetrating type, you put two coats down, first sinks into all the pores in the grout, the second forms a skin over that, the skin only non penetrating forms a surface skin and is recommended for floors only. I don’t know what type the HG is but I will use it on my floors then use the LTP for the rest of the floors and the shower walls. The HG is easy to apply (they give you a plastic pipette) on floors.

T

Terry Cottar

Stan

Not quite true there with your statement. Penetrating sealers do exactly that they penetrate! They only sit on the surface because the stone won't accept any more but this is what causes the aesthetic problems, i.e. streaking or clumping of the sealer caused through over application of sealer.

tel

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Stan001

agree tel - thus the second coat forming a surface seal - i didnt explain myself very well - thx, Stan

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I sprayed a customers floor with Sealguard about a year ago. The customer reported back that it was rubbish and did nothing to protect the grout from dirt staining from her dogs.

Sealguard seems to be good at "pooling" water but seems to do little to stop long term staining?!?

i sprayed my parents kitchen floor with sealguard also,,near 30 quid a tin as well. grout was filthy after 3 months it does not work im afraid but id like to try some other brands

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Interesting comments on the Sealguard, i'd heard it was good stuff. A little worrying as i have a tin in the garage that i haven't used yet; makes me wonder if i'd be better off cutting my losses and chucking it straight in the bin... :mad2:

L

larmar

Never tried sealgaurd on a floor just on a kitchen and a shower area and the water just ran off :thumbsup:

O

Olz

I did a kitchen floor with a white grout upon the customer insistance despite my best effort to put them off white, so i sealed it with HG superprotector and went back 6 months later to do the bathroom tiling, the kitchen floor grout was as white as it was when I laid it. The customer had resealed it at each three month anniversary to make sure it stayed protected just to be on the safe side, i expected it to have discoloured escpecially behind the patio doors with muddy shoes walking in but no.

I was well impressed.

B

Big D

Hi all I only use lithothin products and all are superb also it is important that the customer uses correct cleaning products as some do more harm than good I always supply a bottle of easy care with every installation I do and this works a treat.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Reply to Sealing Grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen