Search the forum,

Discuss Sealing Black Limestone tiles outside in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jonny Boxster

Hi Can anyone help. I've got a limestone slate tile patio in garden and need to seal it. I used Fila Colour Intensifier. The weather had been hot and dry for 4 weeks, so tiles were absolutely dry. I applied Fila Colour Intensifier to one tile as a test. It did not rain for another 5 days so should have cured. On this 5th day I poured some water on the test tile, as the water dried it left patches all other the tile basically it was ruined. My questions are is Fila Colour Intensifier suitable for out side on limestone slate and how many days does it need to cure before water does not affect the tiles?

Reaction score
hello and welcome
Actually color intensifier is more color enchanter then protector, it gives color for the stone and protects they say, but... I ussually after 1 coat of intensifier use sealer something like Lithofin ,,Stain stop,, from my experiance I found some stone still absorbs water after applyed even 2 coats of intensifier...
hope it helps

P

Pebbs

Johnny, what are you talking about limestone slate? Limestone is one material, slate is another. Which is it?

Pebbs

R

RealEarth

Johnny, that looks like the Kotah Black Indian Stone paving... and in the topps photo is sealed to a high gloss for marketing purposes.
You could have yours looking like this but it will dull down with weathering - however, the colour should remain a good deep black with sealant. Without sealant it will fade to a mid grey.
You would probably be as well to use a standard patio sealant which is about £25 for 5L and then apply every year. Or, you could go for one of the more expensive acrylic sealers (used mainly on block paving) which seals the stone, the mortar joint and also bonds them all together... it's (i guestimate) £150 for 5L.. which is similar to Lithofin price anyway.

Reply to Sealing Black Limestone tiles outside in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen