Search the forum,

Discuss Saw for cutting tile trims in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

m4ubs

I've read the previous thread and most people seem to agree with using a mitre block for cutting trims but what about the type of saw. If im going to invest in one id have to buy one which would cut wood (for battens), plastic and metal. I've been checking some saws out and i like the saw names 'The Magic Saw', do a search on net and it seems rather good (theres a pretty neat video too). Has anyone used it ? Also how do you prevent the tile trim from moving in the mitre block ? I've found a block from Stanley which uses adjustable clamps...anyone used this ?

D

DHTiling

use junior hacksaw for plastics and normal hacksaw for metal, these have small teeth so they dont give rough cuts....mitre boxs for trims are small so hold trims with your hand but watch those fingers lol lol....

H

Home Tiler

is there no electric small metre cutters out there for cutting ally trims ??
can't find anything on the net ...anyone know of any please??
steve

D

dart6

Hi i'm new here, i'm from NZ and been tiling for 20 yrs now. I use the smallest drop saw i could find and put a metal blade with the most teeth per inch and get perfect mitres day in day out so much quicker too

Y

yrag1964

thats what I have done Dart6 ideal for the metal trims as I started using a mitre block and a hacksaw and the trims kept moving and the saw kept sticking and I was turning the air blue so I spent 25 quid on a saw and 6 quid on a blade and now I am happy as larry!!! no chubby brown language anymore LOL

Reaction score
thats what I have done Dart6 ideal for the metal trims as I started using a mitre block and a hacksaw and the trims kept moving and the saw kept sticking and I was turning the air blue so I spent 25 quid on a saw and 6 quid on a blade and now I am happy as larry!!! no chubby brown language anymore LOL
what was the finest blade you managed to get ?
Mark.

A

ad tiling

when you put the trim in the mitre block place a piece of 2"x 1" in, then
push down on the wood and trim makes cutting easy , with chrome trims

H

Home Tiler

like that tip ad tiling....i'm now thinking of getting one of these
[DLMURL="http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=16276&Referrer=NexTag"]Draper 350W Belt And Disc Sander 240V :: BDS368 :: 50021 :: Draper Sanders[/DLMURL]
doesn't look to heavy...but i reckon i could sand the 45 and even if i have some awkward angles to do... this could help no end...
i dunno yet though...."might be going over the top with this"

steve

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dart6

you won't get the accurracy like the saw will, i'm talking about a cheap chippies drop saw, they're instantly adjustable to any angle.

D

DHTiling

some thing like this but with a metal cutting blade......dave..

http://www.NoLinksToThis/sfd/i/spacer.gif​

Compound Mitre Saw with cutting head and table which both tilt to 45° for bevel and compound mitre cuts. Supplied with movable blade guard and TCT blade.
  • 1200W
  • Dust Bag
http://www.NoLinksToThis/sfd/i/Only_.gif £24.99 http://www.NoLinksToThis/sfd/i/cat/03/p3317003_l.jpg

Reply to Saw for cutting tile trims in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen