Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Sand And Cement As Adhesive? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

J Sid

I've been tiling all my working life and I'm 50 next month and I've never used s/c to fix tiles and in all that time I've never came across a situation where I needed to.
And if I did I would give them Brian's number...lol
Sounds to much like hard work to me......and I ain't got a cement mixer..:)
50 next month, have I read that somewhere before.......not getting worried about it Andy?.....
I'm the same as you and started at 19 and all I did for the first 5 years of my tiling life was labouring then apprentice in the art of floor tiling into sand and cement doing factories, breweries and dairies.
Some of these floors were big , 12 to 15 times the size of a football pitch.
All pointed in black epoxy.....
They were the days ..

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

well s/c has its place when you have to tile a floor and they want to fix the kitchen 3 days later but need a 30mm+ plus build up on concarete there no better way some tilers have been tiling for years and have not offered this because they dont know how to but thats not there fault they just never got the chance realy its quite easy to do when i get a bit of time i will do a vid and show just how easy it is and how quick

R

This is my thought, up to 10/15 years ago, I placed only s & c. Now with tiles present, increasingly less thickness, larger and larger, of course, to have less thick tiles, the cooking is automatically lifted and the flatness is not perfect, poses s & c is no longer suitable. Now with a leveling system it is also able to accommodate a non-planar tile.
After this, I think a young tiler although it is capable of s & c there is nothing wrong, instead think of laying a floor with s & c, might consider to qualify on factors concerning the future of the tile example: thin porcelain and its equipment or systems of that type scluther UK are used a lot.
this is just my thoughts, then every tiler is free to think what he wants, if in previous posts I have expressed adequately only because I thought it was a joke, I thought that pose S & C is no longer considered being outdated .sorry) I do not want to talk about the videos, because that person is not a tiler.
p.s I think I thought too .......;)
just to bring you up to date they fix thin tiles in china and india into s/c all the time .why are the thin tiles you are fixing platness is not perfect ?they should have a tolarance over 600x1200 of less than 1/10 of a mm .only 30% of all tiles fixed in the world are fixed with adhesive 70% in s/c even today .even thin tiles

W

White Room

just to bring you up to date they fix thin tiles in china and india into s/c all the time .why are the thin tiles you are fixing platness is not perfect ?they should have a tolarance over 600x1200 of less than 1/10 of a mm .only 30% of all tiles fixed in the world are fixed with adhesive 70% in s/c even today .even thin tiles

Last time was at your Ray wasn't those 2 Chinese ladies discussing about the s/c fixing not going well or just checking out the adhesive.

J

J Sid

well s/c has its place when you have to tile a floor and they want to fix the kitchen 3 days later but need a 30mm+ plus build up on concarete there no better way some tilers have been tiling for years and have not offered this because they dont know how to but thats not there fault they just never got the chance realy its quite easy to do when i get a bit of time i will do a vid and show just how easy it is and how quick
Ray, it is easy to do I agree. Trouble is building regs don't always allow it as I have found out on the job I am doing later in the week.
40m2 floor to be built up 80mm ish , building control said no, had to find another solution.

R

Ray, it is easy to do I agree. Trouble is building regs don't always allow it as I have found out on the job I am doing later in the week.
40m2 floor to be built up 80mm ish , building control said no, had to find another solution.
why

R

Last time was at your Ray wasn't those 2 Chinese ladies discussing about the s/c fixing not going well or just checking out the adhesive.
the understanding of adhesive and how to use it.is a big problem in china .and like the uk some tiles have fear of fixing it just dont want to change

J

J Sid

Ray.
Needs insulation underneath of a thickness which would leave the screed to thin. This is over a block and beam floor rather than a concrete base (which would probably have the required insulation already in), but do agree it could/would have been a good and cost effective solution.

W

White Room

the understanding of adhesive and how to use it.is a big problem in china .and like the uk some tiles have fear of fixing it just dont want to change

Did have a call from a guy about the porcel thin up in the docklands and his guys had had no experience with them, surprised he never got in contact with you.

R

Ray.
Needs insulation underneath of a thickness which would leave the screed to thin. This is over a block and beam floor rather than a concrete base (which would probably have the required insulation already in), but do agree it could/would have been a good and cost effective solution.
next time ask them for the thermal property of beam and block per mm .then ask them the same for there insalation per mm dont forget to ask also the same of s/c per mm next the tile then ask what is the total we are looking for over all .i think you will here a long silence

R

Did have a call from a guy about the porcel thin up in the docklands and his guys had had no experience with them, surprised he never got in contact with you.
they may well have done .but all trades will think the bloke in the shop has not got clue

I

Italy

we have not understood, thin porcelain flatness ok. I mean 600x1200 or 1000x1000 200x1200 etc. 9 / 10mm thickness. honestly I have not find any planar.
as regards china india etc., I believe that there is nothing to learn regarding the laying of tiles.
I repeat, it's just my thought, I may be wrong.
and I can also cambiared mind.
because only the foolish never change mind ;)

Reply to Sand And Cement As Adhesive? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks