Discuss S2 adhesive & membrane required? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

MikeT

Hi all,

1st post so go easy on me...

So my flat is on the first floor. I plan to rip up the old cracked tiles & old subfloor (not sure what it is), relay 18mm ply with noggins under any joints & screw every 150mm. Will then install "Dural DuraBase CI++ Crack Isolation/Decoupling Matting". Will then lay ceramic tiles using "Mapei Keraquick S1" adhesive and add "Mapei Latex Plus" to make it S2 grade.....

Am I going overboard???

Any comments appreciated,

Mike

J

J Sid

Hello and welcome to the forum Mike.:)

You'd be fine with a C2 adhesive on top of the uncoupling membrane. Obviously make sure theres no deflection in the floor.

I believe NOT ok to use a S2 on Ditra, would be surprised if ok with Dural :(

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I tend to put durabase down with Ultimate (s2) then fix on top with Setaflex (s1), though if I'm honest I don't know why! What's the issue of going on top with an s2? I'm guessing it's something to do with the bond being too strong??

H

hmtiling

I tend to put durabase down with Ultimate (s2) then fix on top with Setaflex (s1), though if I'm honest I don't know why! What's the issue of going on top with an s2? I'm guessing it's something to do with the bond being too strong??
I think it's because it's too deformable and it's meant to hold in the structure of ditra/durabase

J

J Sid

its because the adhesive is fixed into the cavity's mechanically on Ditra and if fixed by an S2 adhesive it will stick to the plastic and it would loose it's uncoupling properties

Reaction score
There appears to be some conflict of interest here. As a tile adhesive manufacturer, we will always advise the correct product from our range to suit the application needs.

As some members here have already pointed out above, Schluter do not advise an S2 adhesive being used either to adhere, or tile over Ditra matting, as the strength/deformability of the adhesive can negate what the Ditra matting is there to do. Dural UK are happy with an S2 adhesive being used, and they have seen the results from Germany, as we would be if Tilemaster Anti-fracture matting was to be used with an S2 adhesive.

These were both checked with the respective companies yesterday, and a scenario we used with both manufacturers was that of an installation of a resin backed natural stone over a green screed that had piped underfloor heating. The recommendation would be to use an uncoupling system with natural stone onto the substrate. An S2 adhesive isn't needed in terms of flexibility, however the polymer content of the adhesive is needed to adhere to the resin backed stone.

For this installation, we would advise using Tilemaster Ultimate (S2) tile adhesive to stick the Ditra matting down, as Tilemaster Ultimate is our green screed adhesive. For installing the tiles, we would advise back buttering the tile and troweling the Ditra matting with Tilemaster Ultimate (S2) due to the polymer content.

We would stand by this advise in terms of our product, however some advise might need to be sought from the manufacturer of the uncoupling membrane in this instance.

Last edited:
J

J Sid

makes sense, but Ditra would not, from my conversations with them, guarantee there product if a S2 adhesive is used on top to stick tiles. So another uncoupling membrane is needed. If it was a green screed then that only leaves Durel, I believe.

Q

Qwerty

makes sense, but Ditra would not, from my conversations with them, guarantee there product if a S2 adhesive is used on top to stick tiles. So another uncoupling membrane is needed. If it was a green screed then that only leaves Durel, I believe.

To be fair that may be because they haven't any test data using an S2, or because some S2 adhesives are a one part rather than 2 part and they have only tested 2 parts S2 adhesives. Any idea @Schlüter-Systems Ltd ?

Reply to S2 adhesive & membrane required? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks